General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

91 SC- ignition problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 PM

I have been trying to run down this problem for a few days now and hopefully im getting close. The car will start and idle fine. After around 12 hours of not running, you can start the car and drive it around maybe a few miles or so at best. Then the problems start. It stalls when trying to accelerate, most particularly when you come to a stop and try to resume, ala intersections and stopsigns, the most important time.it does this all the time when engine is warm. when in park, you cannot rev over 4,000 rpm, but when driving it will redline properly. sometimes upon trying to start, it takes too many cycles to turn over. im probably dealing with some transmission problems too but im going to forget about those right now due to $. i just need this on the road.

problems ive delt with.

Timing Chain is fine. throttle body clean. fuel filter replaced. eGR Valve cleaned- note-im unsure of how easy the action should be on the egr valve, if someone could elaborate id appreciate it. it seals seem to be fine and the valve will move, but im unsure how freeits movementshould be.

okay now what i think it is-

Im about to replace the spark plugs and ignition wires. i hope that will work it out.

(unfortunaltey 2 of 4 of the plugs are oil fouled... but i really cant deal with internal engine seals...(thats what makes that happen, right?))

i know for a fact at least two of the ignition cables need replacing, but i dont know if bad ones will make this kind of problem.

then there could be the overly retarded problem of water in the gasoline, but lets hope im not a total retard...

Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Engine coolant temperature sensor; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884and http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24003

Both relate to this sensor creating tremendous starting and running problems. Fix this, cheap $20 part or less, and clean off the fouled plugs as best you can but don't scratch the center ceramic insulator otherwise it may crack in the heat of combustion.