General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

3.6 Oil Drain Plug issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Default 3.6 Oil Drain Plug issues

Okay all you weekend shade tree mechanics and the "I can`t afford a Jiffy Lube oil change since Obama took office so I will do it myself and spend my Stimulus Plan Tax Cut taking my family out for a burger" enthusiests. I have a new one for you. Being a graduate of Shade Tree Mechanical University, I have always done my own oil changes as I can`t afford to have my vehicle tied up getting a new engine installed because "Billy Bob" down at "We be Oil Changes and are willing try anything once Auto Service" had forgot to tighten the drain plug. So on Friday afternoon I jack up the passenger side of the `07 Aura with 24000 miles on her, put a stand under the frame rail just in case the jack looses it`s "O" ring. I slide the drain pan under the oil pan, attach the 13 mm box end to the plug and proceed to remove it. It seemed a little tight and "springy" as I proceeded to back it out. As it should, oil began to flow out the drain hole, down my arm into the drain pan. I wrapped the drain plug into the a shop towel to keep it as I always have to keep it "findable" for reinstallation. I slide the drain pan forward and unscrewed the oil filter from the overly long filter mount and dropped the filter into the drain pan. Everything is going as normal. I slide out from under the car, pick up the drain plug I so religiously wrap in the shop towel, unwrap it to inspect the "O" ring and find it to be a little scared up. So that explains oil seepage I noticed on the oil pan. I take my dental probe to O ring to remove it and it breaks into pieces. It`s at this point I notice there is an extra set of larger threads on the head end of the plug. MY GAWD, it`s a "Helicoil". WTF is this doin`on my plug. It aint never been there before. I start freakin`out. So I got into the RAM and drive to the Saturn dealer up the street for some help. After the "we don`t know" answers and the obligatory "have it towed in on Monday, we`ll take a look at it when we can", I left. It`s 6`oclock Friday night and I got to go to a BBQ, so I`ll let all the oil stop drippin` out the hole and check it tomorrow. Saturday mornin` I slide under the ol girl with a flashlight in hand and peek into the drain hole. God, those are the cleanest threads I have ever seen on that oil pan.
Being that I am a mechanically inclined guy, I thought to myself, "Self, why would the factory put a helicoil in the drain plug hole? Self says to me, to prevent "shade tree mechanics like you that own a 'Popeye the Sailor torque wrench" from strippng out the threads on the VERY expensive oil pan". AhHa!! So, the moral of the story for us Shade Tree guys, go to Harbor Freight, buy a Master Metric Tread Repair kit for 60 bucks and keep it on hand. Cuz this will eventually happen to you. GAR-ON-TEED!!
Now go forth and wreck havoc on your rigs. Peace out!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

Observation here -- somebody at Shade Tree Mechanical University forgot to teach the page that stated (in part) that since there's an O-ring on the oil drain plug, the maximum torque to put on the plug is 15 ft-lbs ....

Old 07-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

usually applied with bare feet holding them drain plug between big toes