General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2004 ion ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 AM

can someone give me some directions on replacing the ignition switch on my 2004 saturn ion? I have had intermittent starting problems and upon researching on this forum, I think I will try to replace it. Such a weird problem and it only seems to happen in the cold. The car may not start and then in a couple of minutes, the car will start without any problem. I had the battery checked, alternator, starter and they all check out good! Also checked all connections... please help this is annoying!! Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance!!
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-11-2008, 04:10 PM

I had the same problem in my camaro but it was in all weather not just the cold...One of the wires shorted in my igniton assembly thing...It was a pain in the ***** but once I figured that out it was a breeze...

Old 03-12-2008, 07:57 AM

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as well. Same problem in an 03 . I will have to wait till it happens again to check the codes as the battery was disconnected for testing.

I'm also thinking if it's the key, maybe some graphite spray in the switch? Or dialectic grease on the connections? As opposed to replacing the whole assembly.

The situation seems to be common so hopefuly someone has a definative fix.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 03-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Unfortunately you cant just replace the switch yourself. You can physically do it, but the new one has to be reprogrammed on the car to be recognized by the BCM. Obviously they do this to stop people from stealing a car and replacing the ignition switch. It is a pretty common issue with this car, and a Saturn dealership most likely has them in stock. Best thing to do is take it there, as they can replace the switch and reprogram it in about an hour.

-JOE