General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:35 PM

I have two problems with my 1999 Saturn. Let me first say this is my second Saturn and I love the car. The first problem, when starting the car needs to crank awhile and may not start. If I turn the engine over once, wait a couple of seconds, pump the gas twice and turn it over again it starts right up. The second problem is when I initially start to drive (usually in reverse) I can hear a clicking noise low in the steering column, static blares on the radio and the lights dim for a second, then everything is fine. Aside from that the car runs great. Any help would be greatly appreciated (manual transmission).

Old 09-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

Long cranking times-- sounds like fuel pressure at the fuel rail is slow to build. I have same situation with 97 SC2 (they were known for this)

(Possible) Solution: turn the key to "on" but don't crank it. Listen for a low hum that lasts about 5 seconds, followed by a click near the center console; this is the fuel system priming and then the associated relay shutting off. Then crank the engine -- it should start right up (or at least easier) if the fuel system pressure at cold start is indeed the issue.

This can also be caused by a failing fuel system pressure regulator (not sure where this is located in a 99), or a weak fuel pump, but these are less likely if the car runs more or less fine after you get it started.

As for clicking / radio static/ lights dimming --- this sounds nasty. How reproducible is it? Does it happen going forward as well? Is it a stock sound system? Did you pick this car up used?

Derf

Old 09-30-2006, 02:36 AM

I own a 1997 saturn and that year they had a recall on the fuel pump which is located inside the gas tank. Never had a run or start problem, but when it was tested at the dealers for how much fuel pressure it put out it failed and was then replaced. I would have the pressure checked. The static problem sounds like a short or a temporary loss of ground in your electrical system.Radios are great at picking up electrical charges and turning them into static. I remember when cars used to be equipped with static supressors on the ignition sytem so that the radio wouldn't pick up the electrical discharges.