General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

2 noise problems-04 VUE AWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:45 AM

I have a 2004 VUE, AWD, V6. AUTOMATIC

i bought it about a month ago. i did notice at the time that it made a bit of a whiny noise, almost like an airplane noise when driving. a friend said not to worry, it was probably because of the AWD. the problem is in the last week or 2 it has gotten SO loud, it almost gives me a headache. what it sounds like is that its not shifting gears as it should. when accelerating, it does shift once or twice, and thats it, but then it sounds like it is stuck at a higher gear. the RPM indicates it is shifting gears, it just doesnt sound like it.Anyone else's car loud and whiney?

Problem 2 - when i start the car, about 30 seconds after the start, there isa noise, it makes 2 booms about 10 seconds apart. it sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger side. it almost sounds like a flapper opening if that makes sense. i dont hear it any other time except when starting except on one occassion, i heard it while i was stopped at a light.

Any ideas? Any advice? Anyone else have this problem? Edited by: slbrett

Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Administrator

wow..the first one could be an issue with the awd or transmission...is that full time awd, or can you shut it off?

as for the second one, i have no idea..perhaps have someone else start it, and stand near the rear and see if you can isolate it?

Old 02-15-2006, 09:50 PM

I actually brought my car to Saturn yesterday, the first noise was just driving me nuts! it turns out that at 14,000 miles the rear wheel ball bearings (?) were rusted and needed to be replaced. i was a little surprised at that, but grateful it was covered by the warranty.

the second noise, saturn said that was a normal noise. when the car starts up and does some type of diagnostic thing. (love me termonology?)

i hope this isnt the beginning of a long line of problems, hopefully it was just a freak thing and it will all be good from here on out!