General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

1997 SC2 tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2021, 08:01 PM
Default 1997 SC2 tranny problem

Good evening everyone. My daughter has a 97 SC2 that I replaced the engine on last month. Vehicle has 133K new engine 87K. Everything went good running well but last night she came home from work with check engine light on. Scanned it this morning and codes P0732, P0733 & P0734 popped up. Researching it I found it may be an electrical issue. When I swapped out engines I did leave the tranny in the car, pulled engine out of the top. Fluid level is good and I replaced the filter. Any ideas out ther if any one has had this problem before. I appreciate any feed back if it’s out there. Thanks.
Hombre98

Old 11-17-2021, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Replacement engine from a dohc? If so, what year?
Or is it an sohc engine?

Which PCM are you using? The PCM originally in the car or the one that came with the engine if one came with the engine?

Old 11-21-2021, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

So you kept the PCM, donor was a dohc.
you replaced sensors and the couple you did not replace you swapped out with original engine..

Do you mean you swapped the donor car sensors into the one you already had? And the ones you didn't you used the ones that were already in the original car?

Or did you go out and buy new sensors?

Last edited by derf; 11-21-2021 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Also, have you checked the internet and output speed sensors on the transmission? If these are sensors that you replaced, unreplace them.

Too many changes going on at once to effectively troubleshoot.

This may also be an issue with power getting to the solenoids in the valve body or one of the solenoids itself.

Old 11-23-2021, 12:03 AM
Default 1997 SC2 tranny problem

Hi guys

To answer some questions first. Donor engine is DOHC same yr. No PCM. Sensors put into donorfrom old engine except oil pressure sensor and EGR valve which I bought new.

Over the weekend I did an oil change on it and check it over. While I was under there I rechecked two electrical connectors that I did disconnect when I did the engine swap. 1 was back by the starter, accessible from underneath, the other was on top of the tranny up underneath the battery tray area. I’m not at all familiar with this transmission.

Afterwards I did take the car for a ride approximately 20 miles on expressway and in town and had no problems with it and no CEL appear. I will see her tomorrow after noon before work and ask her how it is running.

I agree there was a lot going on all at once now I hope it’s all fine tuning. I’ve got to say the swap wasn’t too bad considering it’s been about 25 years since the last engine swap I did. I think the wife was beginning to have her doubts the last week I was working on it.

Old 11-23-2021, 04:06 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like maybe I think electrical connector on the valve body. Rube should be able to confirm. I've never had an S series with an auto. Please let us know.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:38 AM

No, I can't confirm that connector, derf. It's been a few years since I owned and SC and BOTH of mine had crap transmissions that I ended up swapping the valve bodies in before selling them at a profit.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry, Rube.

I meant just to confirm the general location of the valve body. My bad.

It's all good.

I hate not being able to see previous posts on the web client. So the original poster whose name I can't remember can look on an exploded diagram on one of the GM parts sites and confirm which wiring this is.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:37 PM

Derf and Rube

Thanks for the input. Talked to my daughter today and no CEL on. Hopefully that took care of it. Other than that it’s been running real well. After all this she calls me if she hears or feels the smallest thing out of the ordinary. I hope it taught her a lesson.

The Saturn has not been a bad little car and to be honest I enjoy driving it too. I’m a Ford guy and I remember my younger day driving the heck out of Pintos and all the work I did to keep them running.

you guys have a good Thanksgiving and stay safe.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, these cars are fun. I just put antique plates on my 95 SC2. Had it since 95. Needs a paint job before I take it to cruise nights.

Happy turkey day

Quick Reply: 1997 SC2 tranny problem