Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

Auto to Manual Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Default Auto to Manual Swap?

Is it worth switching from an auto transmission to a manual transmission? I have been pondering about this for quite awhile. If so, would it be better to do it on my own, or by a pro?

Any thoughts. Thanks

Last edited by sw2cam; 01-20-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Personally, i prefer manual (which is why I swapped mine in August). Its all your decision, both are good, except manual is abit better performance wise and with gas mileage (not that much though)
If you prefer to toss gears around and have fun, and still be economic at times, manual is for you, if your looking to get there and back but take abit of time doing it, stick with auto

I reccomend getting a donor car (like a wrecked one from the junkyard or one with a blown engine), same model same year, with a manual seeing as you can re-use alot of the parts, and then strip off more parts for later (or if something breaks) If the engine is in it and in better condition than yours you can make it easy for yourself and drop it in as one.
You can do it on your own, a little prior experience working on cars might help and be sure to have mostly the right tools, however do plan to be without a car for a day or more if something goes wrong. You can have a pro do it, but youll be charged a ton for labor.

Do abit of reading here, these are the steps to follow

Old 12-22-2011, 11:01 PM

i would sy manual all the way. depending what automatic trans you got what car you got. i found out the automatics are junk inn my opinion. i wwent threw 2 of them. and i took care of both of them. that is also why i just swapped mine for manual not to long ago. it was pretty easy. and deff worth doing it yourself in the long run its a hell of lot cheaper