Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

1998 SC2 DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 AM

Recently went through a bit of trouble on my 1998 SC2 DOHC. The factory belt tensioner (plastic) shredded into pieces when the bearings locked up going about 75mph on the way home. Made it to the house with no significant trouble although the belt was hanging[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]

In the process of removing and installing the new belt tensioner, I noticed a slight leak from the valve cover gasket. Easy enough, I pulled the cover, cleaned the plates, installed the new gasket and away I went. I did take notice to the fact that the inside of the valves were very clean! The motor has never been taken down and and for 130K+ miles, looked unbelievable. About 3 days later, I noticed a slight pinging or knocking sound from around the alternator valve cover area. (Rear Passenger side of motor somewhat half way into the engine). NowI realize that if the alternator were going out I should be having some difficulty with starting/dead battery, or whining from the bearings in the alternator itself; which I haven''t.

Now; for those of you who may know it all, I do take care of my cars. Regular Oil changes, a Tune up EVERY year, etc... I can assure you my valves are not the source of the knocking. This pinging is not severe, but anyone should see as to why I am concerned due to the car and motors age. My SC2 has been MORE than loyal to me and even though it is up in years, I plan on being loyal to it.

I guess my question is...

Could it be possible that while installing the valve cover gasket, I could have somehow misaligned a valve or rocker, put undue tension on the timing chain, or even overtightened the valve cover itself whereas to cause the pinging?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by SMHarris
Could it be possible that while installing the valve cover gasket, I could have somehow misaligned a valve or rocker, put undue tension on the timing chain, or even overtightened the valve cover itself whereas to cause the pinging?

Not likely. But its possible that some debris got left inside.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Not likely. But its possible that some debris got left inside.

No debris got in; I am sure of that. Covered with plastic when pulled apart.