New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride...

Finally made an account the other day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Default Finally made an account the other day!

My ride:
Got this car for completely free. I am very fortunate to have this kind of connection from my grandfather.

3rd owner second family(daughter inherited from original owner): 1997 Saturn Sl1 SOHC 5-speed manual just under 180,000 Miles.

I got the car with about 160,000 miles on it in August 2021.

What I've put on it in the last couple years of ownership

new control arms
new inner & outer tie rods
4 all new strut assembly's
new drum brakes in the back and cylinders
new discs in the front
new radiator coolant reservoir
new thermostat
new spark plugs (about to actually put new ones in since it's been a couple years)
new tires all around
new water pump
new fuel filter
new wiper arm linkage
new wiper arm motor
new heater blower motor
a couple of air filters
replaced the windshield wiper arms because one of mine snapped that was actually the biggest pain the butt to find unless you hit up a junkyard. (i bought six pairs because of the scarcity)

I've got more maintenance in the near future I.E. replace radiator hoses and tubes and i'd like to get a better metal air intake with a washable filter.

I've only spent about $1000 on this bad boy over the course of two years (not including oil changes)
and another $1000 on tools that I should have owned to begin with.

The reason I list all this is because most of this was done with recommendations stolen from past threads and wouldn't be possible without this forum Thank you all very much!

I'm happy to have joined and will probably be sticking around as long as my Saturn does

Also, I feel very fortunate that my SL doesn't have that big oil burning issue i hear are common amongst the SL series.

Last edited by tweakweak; 04-26-2024 at 03:18 PM. Reason: forgot to mention price i got the car