General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Intermittent High Idle, Hard Shift into Reverse & 3rd Gear and Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Default Intermittent High Idle, Hard Shift into Reverse & 3rd Gear and Up

Good morning,

I am new to the SaturnForum.com website. I have had a few problems with my car previously, and have this site and some others very helpful in figuring out how to fix the issues myself.

I used to have to hold down the gas pedal to start my car, otherwise it would die. I changed out the ECTS and now that part is perfectly fine.

The problem I am now having is an intermittent high idle, and when I put into park, the idle goes up to 2,000 rpm. If I turn the car off, then start back up, idle is fine.

Then, just 2 days ago, I started getting a hard shift into reverse, and intermittent hard shifting into higher gears and when I accelerate.

I just got a new battery yesterday, and I have also switched out the IAC valve.

I have a 2001 Saturn SL2.

Any ideas?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM

And also, will me driving it this way somehow mess things up even more. I have been driving it 20 miles round trip to work for the past 2 days.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 PM

So you have come on this web site and got help fixing your car. Once you get needed information your gone to let your account get shut down because of inactivity. Then when you need help again you get yourself a new username and get right back expecting anyone or everyone to come to your aid.

Sorry I can be of no help.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 AM

Ok then. Thank you.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Try cleaning your throttle body. It may help. It could also be a small vacuum leak.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM

Sweet, I'll add those two to my list of things to check. I am having a friend help me out Saturday so hopefully I can get this figured out!

I appreciate the reply and I'll post what I find out.

Thanks Rubehayseed.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by AConsciousEarth
Ok then. Thank you.
Your so welcome as I'm a conscious forum member.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 PM

I'll keep outa this one myself.....................

Old 04-28-2013, 07:25 PM

A 2001 Saturn. Something that is now 12 years old. It is the same rather complex car it was when it was new only it is now 12 years older with the potential for far more things to be wrong with it than there was in the first place. Getting older has not made it easier to fix. If anything harder. It has although made it worth far less money, cheap to buy and difficult to find parts for.
But the basics remain the same.
It would help to have some kind of manual in order to get the printed word as to how to repair the thing and how it is supposed to work and and even more so now then when it was new!
What if any error codes are being kicked up when you run a scan of the computer errors?

Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Thanks uncljohn, understood about the car's age and complexity.

This weekend I changed out the transaxle fluid and filter. That didn't change anything.

I do have the manual for this vehicle, although a lot of it doesn't make sense me.

I will check the error codes and see what it says. At this point, it may just be a better option to try and start looking around for a new used vehicle.

I appreciate your reply!

Quick Reply: Intermittent High Idle, Hard Shift into Reverse & 3rd Gear and Up