Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Help ASAP 96 SL1 Head issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 AM

I have a 96 Saturn SL1 with 93K miles on it. I have had no problems up until this week, when I noticed that the coolant now has that brown milky look to it. It appears as if oil is getting into the coolant which is normally a sign of a head gasket or cracked head problem.

When I searched the web, I saw many people talking about a known issue with 94-96 SL1 models with a defective head. Many people seems to talk about a memo Saturn put out in 2000 extending the warranty on this issue to 100k miles. I called a couple dealerships and Saturn's Customer service number and they dont seem to have any record of this memo or head issue.

Can someone please reply back with a document number or a copy of the memo I can use to referrence this issue when I call Saturn back?

Thanks in advance,
Jweiner

Old 12-18-2006, 02:36 PM

P.S. If anyone has any information on this, as to whether or not there even was an issue with the head on the 94-96 Saturn, that would be helpful also.

Thanks,

JW

Old 12-18-2006, 06:27 PM

Saturn has a number of
Technical Servicing Bulletins which make for interesting reading and
which describes specific problems and how these should be fixed. Some
of you might not know how to access these bulletins so here's how you
do it:

Go to www.nhtsa.gov

Click on the SERVICE BULLETIN DATABASE link at the top

When the next window comes up click on SELECT TYPE OF SEARCH

At the next window click on SELECT YEAR

Next window: SELECT MAKE

Next window: SELECT MODEL

When the final window comes up check the FULL SUMMARY box

After you submit the info a list of TSB's for the vehicle
you're interested in will appear on the screen. Click on DOCUMENTS
SEARCH box in the TSB you want to read and at the next screen click on
the document (TSB) you want to read.

There's loads of interesting info here on Saturns (or any other vehicle
you want to check up on) so if you have some type of problem with your
Saturn you just might find the answer by reviewing these TSB's which
can also be printed out.</span>

Old 12-19-2006, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info, Paulorlo!!

After searching the nhtsa web site, I found 4 Service Bulletins for the 96 Saturns regarding oil in the coolant (the problem I am having). All 4 seem to mention replacement of the cylinder head assembly. I say "seem" because the nhtsa site only shows summaries of the bulletins unless you pay them.

I called Saturn Cust Service back and they still claimed there was no known issues with the 94-96 Saturns and cracked heads...until I gave them the service bulletin numbers. Then the fun began.

I asked them to send me copies of these bulletins and they said they couldn't but the service people at the dealerships could. I called the dealerships and they said they weren't allowed to. Not that it really matters as I already know what is wrong with the car. I just wanted to see the full details of the bulletins.

Anyways, after 2 additional calls to dealership service centers, I finally got someone to verify that their was a known issue and an policy which extended the warranty for that problem for 6yrs 100K miles. Although I am still under 100K miles (barely) I am well over 6yrs. It would have been nice if someone let me know before the date ran out, although I didnt have the issue until now. In either case, off I went to call Saturn Cust Service back in hopes that they might be able to do something for me since this is a known defect.

1st Call to cust service and they tell me they "might" be able to do something, but I would need to have the diagnosis done at Saturn first. The problem is the diagnosis will cost about $400 as they have to take the head off and inspect it, even though this is a known issue,ALL car experts I have talked toALL say with oil in the coolant it is 99.9% a cracked head, AND the service bulletins also verify this fact. Still, they say I have to give them $400 to tell me what I already know.

I have a freind with an autoshop who I can probably give a couple hundred bucks to work on the car with me at his shop. Add on $355 for a Clearwater Head with valves, seals, cams, lifters, springs, etc., $60 for a gasket set, coolant flush,and oil change and the entire process would cost me about $650. For the dealer to do it, it would cost $400 just to diagnosis it and probably about $1400 more dollars to finish the job.Unless Saturn is going to pay for the bulk of the repairs, theres no point in taking it in.

After another call to Customer Service, they agreed to send the claim up to the manager if I at least make an appointment to bring it in for a diagnosis, so I did. They are supposed to call me back today, but I dont have my hopes up.

I know, the car is 10yrs old and has almost 100K miles, but thats beside the point. The fact is, if Saturn new they put out a defective part, they should have done something about it. Especially, something that is so expensive to repair. Im not looking to bankrupt the car companies, but come on...either make something right the first time or dont make it at all.

Wish me luck

Old 12-19-2006, 01:55 PM

Glad I could help and good luck with Saturn and getting your car fixed.