Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Car won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:13 PM

i have a 1996 SL1 and it just clicks when I turn the key, then
sometimes it does try to start but the pinion gear in the starter just
spins and does not spin the flywheel. Do these starters have shims that
need to be adjusted? I need help ASAP. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:36 PM

I would first try jump starting the car. If the starter works properly, then your battery charge is too low. If starter still acts the same, then I would either clean the starter or replace it with a rebuilt starter. I don't believe the starter has shims. There is a solenoid that is responsible for moving the pinion gear against the flex plate teeth. It sounds like your starter solenoid is not getting enough current or is not functioning properly.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like weak battery.

Originals from GM were 3 yr batteries, so it was probably replaced in 1999, 2000, yes? Then a 60 month or 72 month replacement battery would have gotten you to about now.....

As paulorlo said-- if not the battery, sounds like a weak starter solenoid.

Have you tried the hammer trick? Sometimes the pinion gear gets hung up; you may be able to free it up with a few stern whacks to the starter in the area near the solenoid aimed in the direction the gear needs to move. You may need someone else to hold the key to "start" position for a few seconds at a time if the hammer whacks don't work without holding the key to "start".

Just make sure the key turner knows that if he hears the gear engage to let go of the key right away -- otherwise you'll send a spinning pinion gear full force into a stationary flywheel and probably damage the teeth on both.

It is tight quarters down there, so be safe (jackstands, etc). You may also want to disconnect at least two spark plug wires so that the engine cannot actually start/run while you're trying this.

Derf

Edited by: derf

Old 11-07-2006, 11:40 AM

Well, I thought it might have been the battery too, but then I took the optima yellow top out of my nissan 240sx, which is currently undergoing a motor swap, and I put it in the SL1. I don't however think it is the solenoid because this starter has been replaced. The shop she took it too was like, your car is stalling when running because your "starter is overheating" which anyone knows is not true. The problem most likley was either the alt. or the coils. My friend knows nothing about cars and now I am here to solve the case. I will try the hammer trick, but I just have this feeling it is the wrong starter, even tho it bolts up correctly. I am not sure. But thank you for the replys and I will keep you guys updated on the situation.

Old 11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

Try the hammer trick, otherwise it could be the wrongstarter or the bendix could be bad and is not fully extending into the ring gear.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Most replacement starters are rebuilds / remanufactured, so the possibility exists that the replacement may be defective in a different way then the starter originally failed and entered the world of remanufacturing. ...nothing is out of the realm of possibilities.

Check make and part # with Saturn Parts department to see if it is correct one

Edited by: derf