Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SOHC with cracked head cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:12 AM

Have a 1996 SOHC. Was driving car and noticed overheating (all the way in the red). pulled over and noticed a milkshake under the hood near the coolant resevoir. Mechanic said head cylinder cracked.He wants to charge $2000for new cylinder,head gasket,hoses, acid flush, oil change, the whole 9 yards.Now if I just put in a new head cylinder, do I need to do the rest of the crap (hoses and acid flush head gasket) or is the cylinder enough??

Old 03-16-2005, 05:29 AM

unfortantly you need all that stuff, and then some you will need barrings and more gaskets that he isent telling you about. these are the "hidden charges" it will come out to be a lil over 3,000 for the motor to be rebilt. and thats bilt bacj to the same sh*tty stock one you have in there. u might as well buy a new engine or car. i have a engine out of my 95 that the incerance componey totaled out on me. its bilt ground out and is almost bullet proof. ill be happy to sell it to you for cheap since the incerance componey was more then understanding of my needs[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]i showed then all the extras and made a few lil things up for extra cash[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]with that ill be putting my down payment on my redline. but my motor outta that car is almost brand new. ill sell you the engine for a good offer. but dont waste your money w/ that 2000 price rebiled it yourself. need any help let me know

jon walker

Old 03-16-2005, 06:55 AM

Ok. I live in florida. How much u askin and how long will it take to ship?

Old 03-16-2005, 02:45 PM

well like i said ill get ride of it for cheap... like 800??? sound good? ill have to pull the motor on a weekend because that is when im home from work and have time to do it. it might also take a lil longer to pull anyhow since the rear lift point is smashed in. but i can find out how much i will cost to ship and let you know. do you perfure any survice such as ups, fed ex, ect.? ill pull it this weekend if you want it. ill also give you the ecu, you will need that when you change the engines out so that way you drop and go.

let me know what you wanna do stanglov02@msn.com

thanks

jon walker

Old 03-17-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by betinaq
Have a 1996 SOHC. Was driving car and noticed overheating (all the way in the red). pulled over and noticed a milkshake under the hood near the coolant resevoir. Mechanic said head cylinder cracked.He wants to charge $2000for new cylinder,head gasket,hoses, acid flush, oil change, the whole 9 yards.Now if I just put in a new head cylinder, do I need to do the rest of the crap (hoses and acid flush head gasket) or is the cylinder enough??

No you don't need all that stuff. Ask him to replace the cylinder head and the head gasket. Then go to an auto parts store and buy engine flush and a case of oil and 2 oil filters. Follow the directions on the flush and you finished. As for hoses there's no reason you would need those unless they have been damaged. You do need the head gasket. All though I would ask around at different shops. Some people will tell you anything to drain your wallets. Sounds also like some people will tell you anything to sell you something you don't need. Like a new engine. Of course going that route, you just don't know what you are going to get.

P.S. Ask for a reconditioned head. A quality shop should be able to get you one and they're alot cheaper.Edited by: quantumzL69

Old 03-18-2005, 12:27 AM

recondition head isent to oem specs, damn close but not there. but i do agree w/ that one guy on that. if you do get that, get a metel head gasket they are a lil thicker and can w/ stand psi with means they are harder to blow. but since ur ride is stock it sould last about 150k miles w/ no prob. but if you are going to do all that i would just get a new engine. check out junk yards(sometimes cheaper the a new head)or i have a almost new one laying here outta my smashed saturn.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:19 AM

Sometimes you can get lucky at the junk yard. I pulled an engine out of a 96 sc1 with only 25000 miles on it and stuck it in my 93 sl1. I pulled the valve cover to make sure the engine was'nt all crudded up due to no oil changes and pulled the sparkplugs to see what they looked like, and it all looked good. I thought the 25000 on the odometer might mean the odometer was broke but apparently not. The local "you pull it" junkyard in Daytona charges about $130.00 for an engine. Whatever make or brand is $130.00. I did check on buying a rebuilt engine though. Autozone had the cheapest price I could find at a little over $1400.00 bucks and a higher quality rebuilt engine at a little over $1600.00 bucks.