Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

,95 sl2 trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM

any way to tighten the bands on this trans? It shifts hard going into 2nd and 3rd

I just had some engine work done--broken valve--and I need a new MAP sensor (thanks to my A-hole brother who beat the crap out of this car)

Will the MAP sensor help in shifting? Thanks in advance for any help.

mailto:browncitychick@yahoo.com

Old 01-20-2006, 07:55 AM

I just got through fixing my tranny slam problem. My 95 was slamming 2nd and 3rd on the up and down shift. The failure appeared out of nowhere. It all started when the weather hit below freezing for a couple of days. I was told by people in the know that, I should change out my fluid to synthetic because the regular ATF can't handle the extreme temp changes and was gumming up the valve body guides. The synthetic and a new filter set me back $30 bucks, Ouch. The ATFchange helped. The slamming wasn't as intense but it wasn't shifting as smooth as it was before. The shift points where a little high, around 2,200 rpm. The next line of attack was the electric system. I was told by the Saturn types that it could bethe wire harness connector on the top of the transmission case or could be the solenoids for the shift valves or it could be a bad alternator not putting out enough voltage for the solenoids. It turned out to be that my fuses had become tarnished. I pulled the three tranny fuses andpolished the blades up. Nowit shifts around 1,300 rpm and so smooth you can't even feel it. The long and short of it is, you've got some kind of a electrical failure. Start at the fuse box and work your way back into the transmission case. There are three fuses thatyou need to check, TRS LP (transaxle line pressure actuator), TRS 3/4 (3rd and 4th gear actuator), TRS 2/TCC ( 2nd gear and torque converter clutch actuator). GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 12:26 PM

Hey! thanks, I appreciate your help....the MAP sensor was not the problem with my engine and the computer analyzer thing said it was electrical---I'll keep you posted.

Thanks much!