Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/tires-20/)
-   -   best tire for an sc2 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/tires-20/best-tire-sc2-5711/)

john doe 05-02-2011 06:27 AM

best tire for an sc2

well time is here to buy new tires .195/60/15 .we have the factory mags .
been looking at hankook optimo h727 .very highly rated tire ,but it says its for luxury sedans.t speed rating on these.
even still they get a great rating online from near everyone.

also considering the general altimax hp these get decent reviews as well but not near os good as the hankooks. these are h rated tires .

what you all using??

anyone have experience with either of these brands?
i am basing my decisions on online reviews and also quietness of the tire .both these tires are said to run very quiet .
i thought about some goodrich traction radials but reviews say they are a very noisy tire.
thanks guys

OceanArcher 05-02-2011 09:34 AM

I've not had experience with either of those brands, sorry

derf 05-02-2011 10:02 PM

still riding on stock Firestone Firehawks (16 and 14 years, respectively)
Never dissatisfied enough to look for alternatives

I believe michelin made a tire that fit

OceanArcher 05-03-2011 08:53 AM

I'm with Derf here -- Firestones are on all my Saturns

john doe 05-03-2011 02:04 PM

i am going with the general altimax hp`s ,they are h rated and are of a sport design .they get good reviews and they have them right up the road for 103.00 each installed plus tax.
i will let you know how i like them .they are to be a quiet tire as well with excellent all around traction and good wet weather performance which we been having alot of over here ....rain....

more on this tire later.

Octavious 05-04-2011 12:06 AM

I have those tires although in a completely different size, (205/50/R16) so I dont know if that makes any of my experience different but, they have excellent traction, I was trying to get them to slip in the rain but they stayed put. However the sidewall is a bit soft, so Its making my ride a little wobblyer (Up around 60 the wheel wants to shake a lil bit, feels abit like your steering some dough in harder curves) But I have only had the wheels for 500 miles, I dont know if it might just not be the tread leveling out.

For rain though, this tire is great in my opinion.

I had have one experience with these tires before, before I bought mine my friend had them on her Saab, the size was similar to yours i believe, and I drove them and they handled remarkably well, better than the toyos I had on the stock wheels (but I think her car might have had something to do with that)

john doe 05-04-2011 05:17 AM

thanks for your input .

while i have only driven a handfull of miles so far the tire rides very nice .smooth and more comfortable feeling than whatever was on the car .they are also very quiet ,i hear no funny road noises or anything from them .
i bought the H rated because they are to have a little stiffer sidewall than say a t rated .
are the tires you mentioned a H rated tire?i am quite sure i had these up to 60 but i will report back later after i get some more miles on them .

these and the hankook tires got the best "user" ratings on all the reviews i read so i based my decision soley on that.

Octavious 05-04-2011 07:16 AM

Yes, the tires I have are rated h also

uncljohn 06-13-2011 08:45 AM

I have hankooks, I like them. They are on my Saturn and just bought my my 2nd set for my Chrysler Van. I don't know if the Saturn are H Rated, if they are I have no problem with that rating and they generally give excellent wear and mileage and will lean towards them vs performance rating tires which are not driven to that level, generally are soft and wear out quickly and are expensive thus not worth it if you are not looking to use those benefits while going to the grocery store. If they are something other than H rated, they have given me cause to find out what they are. So I guess I don't see a problem.