Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/suspension-19/)
-   -   Erratic steering when braking, need opinion (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/suspension-19/erratic-steering-when-braking-need-opinion-3612/)

Jonnysig 08-05-2009 10:43 PM

Erratic steering when braking, need opinion

Hey guys,

I got a 97 Saturn SL1 4DR Sedan. I keep her running good and do all the maintenance myself. But I must confess that I do not hold the knowledge to troubleshoot or make a call on this issue. When I apply pressure to the brakes at any speed over 30mph (especially down hill) I get erratic steering and the car shakes.

So i've got my head burried in my Haynes manual and the troubleshooting tree gives me these four possibilities....

1. Front hub bearings worn
2. Broken or sagging springs
3. Leaking wheel cylinder or caliper
4. Warped discs or drums

I have enough knowledge to know that theres no leak coming from the calipers but the other 3 I am unsure of. I can handle working on the brakes myself but springs and hubs??? Anyone got any info or has anyone heard of this problem. Anyway to pinpoint or isolate one of these problems??? Thanks guys! Hope someone can help.

John Signorelli

RjION 08-06-2009 09:41 PM

Front brake ROTORS are warped ... it's common to ALL cars as milk is to a dairy.

saturnsdn 08-30-2009 01:00 AM

agree with Rj do something about the rotors and the issue should be solved

Jonnysig 08-31-2009 11:33 PM

Erratic steering

Are rotors something I can get fixed or does warped mean theyre toast...should I just replace them???

saturnsdn 09-01-2009 12:04 AM

call near by parts stores and see if they machine rotors. they should measure them out and see if they are thick enough to machine and remain within specs before they do anything otherwise you'll have to replace them

derf 09-01-2009 05:52 AM

and if you replace them you'll want to consider replacing pads as well if they show signs of uneven wear

RjION 09-06-2009 12:23 PM

Yes ................ replace the brake pads at the same time.

OceanArcher 09-06-2009 09:48 PM

Well, let me jump in here too, and suggest that you bypass the thought about re-machining the rotors, and simply replace them.

Rationale:

Saturn OEM rotors are easily warped. Machining them to return them to smooth condition removes a portion of the original thickness, causing them to overheat easier in the future, with the result of additional warpage. Save time/grief/grey hairs by replacing the rotors this time

sw2cam 09-07-2009 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher (Post 16699)
Well, let me jump in here too, and suggest that you bypass the thought about re-machining the rotors, and simply replace them.

Rationale:

Saturn OEM rotors are easily warped. Machining them to return them to smooth condition removes a portion of the original thickness, causing them to overheat easier in the future, with the result of additional warpage. Save time/grief/grey hairs by replacing the rotors this time

OceanArcher owns the company that builds aftermarket rotors .... LOL

OceanArcher 09-07-2009 08:06 PM

Re: Second Career

LOL -- I wish SW2cam was right, but sadly, that is not the case. I have, however, attempted to have Saturn rotors turned before, and they just don't remain true