Sights N Sounds Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Saturn's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Photo Whorage and other things

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Cams? really? Ok ! but what about the Prom in the computer, isn't that needed too when you re-cam?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM

Cams? really? Ok ! but what about the Prom in the computer, isn't that needed too when you re-cam?
========================
you have to keep in mind that there are some computors that have no capability of reprograming them and others there are no parts available so in general no.
However? Depending on other factors that answer is yes. But in that case if everything does not have the capability of being changed, then no.
Clear eh?
Individual performance modifications done while basically having no clue how to do them many times conform to MORE'S LAW! What is More's Law? Basically if a little is good, more is better. A euphanism that can not be applied linearly to a solution.
Performance modifications work together to achieve an identifiable objective. The more limited the objective is, that is the more power developed for a limited application the less tractable the engine becomes when used in alternative applications. Something that will preform well over a quarter of a mile will not perform well driven down the 35mph street to the corner grocer a quarter of a mile away.
The average computor (or carburetored) controlled car has a certain amount of lattitude built into the thing that allows it to be driven by a variety of people over a variety of conditions and not have any wierd characteristics. A computor with a mass air flow sensor can monitor the amount of air drawn into the engine as part of the algorythems used to control the rest of the engine based on sensed data. And then adjust for the increased air flow generated by different cams. A speed density system assumes air flow for the size of the engine and the cam selected by the designer but if the engine uses more air the other sensors will sense changes in power output and compensate accordingly to increase performance because it can. With in limits. Exceed the limits and you have to change something else.
Thus arbitrarely throwing parts at an engine because Billy did it is not the way to build one. Doing some research and collecting parts for YOUR objective and budget is. If our cam selection will only work well with a different software, than mechanically it will only work well with head work performed too in many cases. The question becomes;
How fast do you want to go, with the answer being how much money do you want to spend.
Also the % of increase of benfits becomes decreasingly less the more exotic the modifications become along with the decrease in versitillity of the car.
So again, with in reason and budget, the biggest bang for a budget buck is a cam change.
You will get more performance increase for the money spent than any other modification as far as I am concerned. It is also the single most labor intensive modification to make but once made also establishes a base line for other modifications because now they can help make that cam work better yet.
So unless the part in question is in itself too small for the application being ignition, fuel delivery or exhaust, spending money changing it to another adequatly sized part or one that is too big for the existing application, your money spent is wasted.
It also helps to know how to tune what you have to utilze to the best benefit the parts currently in use.
One of my favorite applications of More's Law? Bragging! I have an RV cam.
application? RV cams are designed to help trucks pull heavy weights up steep hills. The develop low rpm torque and run out of benefit in the top 1/3 of the rpm range.
But they are highly recommended by people (who are clueless I guess).
If that is your application go for it. For me, if that is my application I would rather buy a John Deere tractor. It is more cost effective.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM

All the performance money can buy !
Horse power is fuel and money !

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Sat...ormance-Chips/

Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'd venture to say those products are likely crap (just like the S Car chips) --- but I'll let you buy them and tell us how they work

Old 06-16-2011, 12:50 AM

All the performance money can buy !
Horse power is fuel and money !
=====================
I did not see $500.00 worth of performance. My statement was and still is, the biggest bang for the buck is a cam upgrade which can be done for about 1/3 that price and a fair amount of work.
It will also work with the existing engine control electronics.
If I had an addiional what ever the cost I might consider it. There is a point of diminishing returns and frankly I think these items if they actually exist for an S series car are not worth the money spent on them based on my own experiance. But to each their own. And I could be wrong. But I would not spend my money to find out again and the operative word IS again.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM

I was accually being sarcastic guys. I'm not even interested in getting more HP out of my SL, Now if I could get more MPG?!?! Than I might consider. But I doubt there is really any more to be done , since I am registering 40+ again this tank.

Last edited by scotterichmond; 06-16-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM

I have modified more than one engine in my life and a variety of them. I would like to see an additional 15 hp from my s series Saturn but am not willing to dig into it to find it. It is a very efficient package. The biggest gains in both power and economy I have seen is doing things to improve efficiency which from the factory are both in-efficient and cheap. I have for example two almost identical I-6 cars from a now defunct manufacturer. One is bone stock and smog legal and in excellent tune. It can get 28 mpg BUT driven carefully on the flat and level has trouble getting much past 80 mph and tall hills frighten it.
The other is heavily modified. It seems to average on the open road about 20. Both geared the same by the way.
The difference? The second can cruise well above the maximum speed the 1st can hope to see and on 7% grades can pull out to pass something and accelerate rather than down shift and tagalong untill the top is reached. All of this while running A/C.
In some ways trying to get the first to get better gas mileage would be restricting to roads that ran down hill with a tail wind. The second can get better gas mileage by just driving it sanely.
However both are better than another version a small 2bbl v8 of the same brand I owned that got 12mpg parked and un-occupied which after carefull work I managed to improve to 9mpg.
Which by the way is also related to a 4th car with a huge v8 that is heavily modified and faster than snot that can get 20mpg at freeway speeds. But that one has a 5 speed with 5th being a 30% overdrive.
Some times the words "Go figure" seem to be the proper definition.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 AM

PROM, CHIP, TUNE .... S-Car equals nothing. No chip in the world will make an S-Car faster 0-30/0-60/0-90 the only thing it's good for is removing money from your pocket. There is NO tune from HP or any other company.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Thats a whole bundle of info im glad to have found Thanks guys.

Wildlife is now attracted to my car.
not really though.

"Bambi" here was walkin around our house for a few hours on during my Grad. Party, grabbed a good shot of it infront of the car with the new camera.

That picture actually looks like crap. ill fix that tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Photo Whorage and other things-263943_1797109451714_1359085639_31590284_1991268_n.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Cool ................ very cool.

Quick Reply: Photo Whorage and other things