Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   starter removal 2003 vye V6 AWD=??? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/starter-removal-2003-vye-v6-awd%3D-10198/)

Twinpilot001 08-14-2015 06:40 PM

starter removal 2003 vye V6 AWD=???

How do i access the starter on this v6 awd car? Point me to a procedure.I actually am trying to replace the Crank shaft sensor-its located?? close to the starter. yet after crawling under the car I cant even see the starter. Help Please.

Rubehayseed 08-14-2015 09:22 PM

Here's a youtube video showing how to replace the CPS.
I'm not sure where the starter is on the V-6 Saturns. I've never owned nor worked on one. I'm going to guess it's probably between the firewall and engine. Disconnect your battery before you fool with it. If you can't find the starter, it sounds like you probably shouldn't be trying this on your own anyway. Best of luck to you.

Twinpilot001 08-15-2015 08:04 AM

starter access?

Thanx for the video- i have seen one this man previously posted. didnt show starter removal at all. What it doesnt explain is = As I have just looked under this car-Im still curious as to what wheel?? lt or rt. to remove & appears theres also a panel that must be removed to gain access to this area? I know the starter must be on the firewall side of engine . Appears the drivers side wheel & any associated panel behind it needs removal? Thanx

derf 08-15-2015 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached thumbnail, #6 is the CKP (Crank Position Sensor)

Note Big Arrow pointing towards front of car. This CKP is mounted betw the front fender and the crank, not betw the firewall and the crank.
If this is not your engine, then continue searching the net as I did.

Rubehayseed 08-15-2015 10:04 PM

Nice find, derf! They really tucked the starter in there on that V-6, didn't they? Anyway, Twinpilot, you have your answer. I'd suggest some good jack stands and a bright light under the car so you can see what's what.

Twinpilot001 08-16-2015 06:42 AM

Thanx to all !!

Slid under the car again last eve. Found the starter!! Wholly Cow- i need arms the size of a spagetti noodle to get to that one. Now - going to a shop with a lift!! Thanx to all for the input!!

Rubehayseed 08-16-2015 07:51 AM

Yep, it's pretty obvious that a lot of automtovie engineers NEVER work on their own vehicles, isn't it?

Twinpilot001 08-19-2015 02:28 PM

Thanx to all- Got the crank pos changed -still same problem-posting again. Again Thanx

Rubehayseed 08-19-2015 09:35 PM

Where'd you get that sensor? I sure hope it was from a GM dealer and not a chain store like Autozone. If so, you got what you paid for. A cheap sensor that's not within the proper parameters for the Saturn engine. I NEVER buy sensors anywhere except from a dealer. At least that that I'm getting OEM parts. Sometimes aftermarket parts are NOT such a bargain.

Twinpilot001 08-21-2015 11:03 AM

Bought sensor from NAPA - Id hate to get dealer pricing!! The car actually acts up (quits) at different mileages now.??Since cps replaced. Im still leaning to computer bad since everything shuts off - even fuel pump=just like key turned off!

Rubehayseed 08-21-2015 12:29 PM

Makes no sense at all to me. Check the wiring and the plug connection. If those look good, I'd suspect that the sensor is no good. Did it have a little paper spacer on it? That's there to assure clearance is proper.

Twinpilot001 08-21-2015 01:14 PM

Yes =- I am also =Bumfuzzled on this one too!

I will run live scans today later. I also found out the O2 sensors have a total of 4 on this car = 2 before cat & 2 after. That just dont make sence to me either?? Never seen that before -I also will check for fuel pressure & fuel pump running after the engine dies also. On scan & by ear @ tank!--- Years back I had a car that did exactly the same - was a computer then too. Yet here i also have a olds V6 that did same & was a crank sensor too- replaced that & ran fine - both cars didnt toss any codes either!! Go figure! :confused::confused::confused:

derf 08-21-2015 10:40 PM

it's a v6; each bank of cylinders (3) has a pre cat O2 and a post cat O2.

2+2=4

derf 08-21-2015 11:01 PM

now you are referring to MILEAGES at which it shuts off.
before you were referencing TEMPERATURE (when it warms up) it shuts off
You're giving us apples and oranges to compare, which is not only confusing but helps none of us get any closer to solving the issue.

Try this: Let the car warm up idling in your driveway with the scanner attached.

Capture real time data for the coolant temp sensor, CKP (crank Posit Sensor), and CPS (Camshaft position sensor), Fuel pressure, Front O2 readings.

Do NOT stop taking data when the car shuts down; go for another minute and monitor all the same things.
_______

Aftermarket sensors, depending on type, may be ok, and sure cost less than OEM sensors....UP FRONT. When you add up all your time messing with them + the cost of an OEM replacement, it costs more.........