Saturn Vue Transmission Problems/Transmission Control Module

Old 01-14-2019, 01:55 PM
Unhappy Tranny Issues on my 08 Saturn Vue

Hello, I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XR and have had a few issues with my tranny. The first time I had an issue, it shifted hard around 3rd gear, or so. AAMCO said it was a "dealer" repair. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the electronic module. The problem was fine, for a while, maybe 1-2 months, then the hard shift came back and I took it back to the dealer. They stated it was the ignition coil and spark plug #5. The car was fine for about 10 days, then the hard shift came back. Now the dealer states he sees a leak. He puts dye in it and tells me I need a new transmission. What's up???

Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM

I'm not too sure, but it sounds like you might be having a problem with the wave plate recall that GM put out on the Vues. Most GM dealerships DON'T want to fix it for some reason. Derf knows a hell of a lot about this wave plate thing since he went through it himself, I THINK. Not sure, but I think so. What say you, derf? Is this the issue with his? And stay the hell away from AAMCO. Those guys are clowns. Generally AAMCO stands for all automatics must come out. It must be pretty bad if they didn't offer to remove and rebuild it for you.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:17 AM
Question 2008 Saturn Vue 3.5 L AWD Transmission issues

Originally Posted by derf
Those are called shift flares.

Your issue is the 3,5,R waveplate in the transmission.
You have a 1st gen 6T70 transmission in that vehicle.

1st gen 6T70 and 6T75's had an issue where the waveplate associated with 3rd, 5th, and R gears would break due to a manufacturing design flaw, causing the shift flares betw 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th, and shifting into reverse.

Some people only experienced shift flares in some of the gears or a lack of 3, 5, and or R entirely.

GM issued an extended warranty coverage bulletin on that issue.

----------------------
Updated Bulletin:

#14404A: Special Coverage Adjustment - Transmission Clutch Wave Plate - (Mar 11, 2015)
Subject: 14404A – Special Coverage Adjustment – Transmission Clutch Wave Plate

Models: 2007-2009 Buick Enclave
2008-2009 Chevrolet Equinox, Malibu
2009 Chevrolet Traverse
2007-2009 GMC Acadia
2007-2009 Pontiac G6
2008-2009 Pontiac Torrent
2007-2009 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK
2008-2009 Saturn VUE
Equipped with FWD or AWD and 6-Spd Automatic Transmission
(RPO MH2, MH4, MH6, or MY9)

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008-2009 Saturn VUE, add transmission RPO codes, and update the Warranty Transaction information section. Please discontinue use, and discard all copies of Special Coverage Recall 14404.

Condition
Some 2007-2009 model year Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia, Pontiac G6, Saturn AURA and OUTLOOK, 2008-2009 model year Chevrolet Equinox and Malibu, Pontiac Torrent, and Saturn VUE, and 2009 model year Chevrolet Traverse vehicles identified above and, equipped with a 6T70 or 6T75 - 6 speed FWD automatic transmission –– may experience a cracked or fractured wave plate, resulting in a loss of 3rd, 5th and reverse gears.

Special Coverage Adjustment
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the 3rd /5th / reverse clutch plate. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after March 2, 2015 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to March 2, 2015 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

Go to Chevy Dealership IMMEDIATELY to determine the date the vehicle was put into service. They can lok it up by VIN. If you are the original owner it is on the paperwork you signed before pulling off the lot.

Some 08's were of course built in 07, so it IS possible to be outside the 10 yr limit during 2017 depending on when you or the orig owner drove it off the lot.
GET A MOVE ON IT --it's a $4000 job if you have to eat it.

Mine failed at 92K.

Pls let us know the outcome.

Customer Reimbursement – For US
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer by March 31 2016, unless otherwise specified by state law. If this is not convenient for the customer, they may mail the completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form and all required documents to the GM Customer Assistance Center. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

All reasonable and customary costs to correct the condition described in this bulletin should be considered for reimbursement. Any questions or concerns should be reviewed with your GM representative prior to processing the request.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

A completed Customer Reimbursement Request Form. This form is mailed to the customer or can be obtained through GM GlobalConnect.
The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.
Paid receipt confirming the amount of the repair expense, a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.
Important: GM requires dealers to approve or deny a reimbursement request within 30 days of receipt. If a reimbursement request is approved, the dealer should immediately issue a check to the customer and submit an appropriate warranty transaction for the incurred expense. If a reimbursement request is denied, the dealer MUST provide the customer with a clear and concise explanation, in writing, as to why the request was denied. The bottom portion of the Customer Reimbursement Request Form may be used for this purpose. If the denial was due to missing documents, the customer can resubmit the request when the missing documents are obtained, as long as it is still within the allowed reimbursement period.

Warranty transactions for customer reimbursement of previously paid repairs are to be submitted as required by GM Global Warranty Management. Additional information can also be found in Warranty Administration Bulletin 11-00-89-004.

Customer Reimbursement – For Canada and Export
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by March 31, 2016. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 193,000 kilometers, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

— Proof of ownership at time of repair.

— Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

All reasonable and customary costs to correct the condition described in this bulletin should be considered for reimbursement. Any questions or concerns should be reviewed with your GM representative prior to processing the request.

Courtesy Transportation – For US and Canada
The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

Warranty Transaction Information
Submit a transaction using the table below. All transactions should be submitted as a ZREG transaction type, unless noted otherwise.

Note: To avoid having to "H" route the customer reimbursement, transaction for approval, it must be submitted prior to the repair transaction.

Labor Code
Description
Labor Time
Net Item
**3-5-Reverse Clutch Plate Replacement (All-Wheel Drive)
N/A
**3-5-Reverse Clutch Plate Replacement (Front-Wheel Drive)
N/A
Customer Reimbursement Approved
Customer Reimbursement Denied - For US dealers only
N/A
* The amount identified in “Net Item” should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

** Includes all associated parts, cleaning / flushing and front end alignment.

Customer Notification
General Motors will notify customers of this special coverage on their vehicles (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).
JohnMD - asks:

Just picked up 2008 Saturn Vue 3.5 L AWD 115,000 miles

very clean vehicle- was detailed to the hills

well the transmission sometimes sticks in first when I shut it off and restart it the problem goes away

the manual shift does not work

Could not find any information if any of these items have been repaired before by previous onwers

any suggestions

Old 04-04-2020, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Please start your own thread. This has nothing to do with this one.