Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   Newbie here! 04 Vue with tranny issues and P0842 code (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/newbie-here-04-vue-tranny-issues-p0842-code-9338/)

blaisa 03-02-2014 01:01 PM

Newbie here! 04 Vue with tranny issues and P0842 code

Hello all, I purchased a 2004 Vue yesterday for $500 which is in excellent condition inside and out with only 106k miles. I knew when I purchased the vehicle that the transmission was not functional. The scanner pull a P0842 code (trans fluid pressure sensor/switch circuit low) from the computer. When the transmission is moved from park or neutral into reverse or drive the rpm's drop about 125 to 150 rpms but the vehicle does not move at all even when revved up. When towing it home yesterday at slow speeds I could hear a metallic clacking sound coming from what I would guess to be the differential area of the transmission or thereabouts.

Now, does this low mileage vehicle still fall into the extended warranty coverage that Saturn did after the class action suit? If not has anyone out there experienced this problem and know of a fix other than replacing the tranny?

Thanks, Andy

RjION 03-02-2014 01:08 PM

Did you tell us what engine and trans it has in it? Maybe I missed it if you did. If you want to know if it's covered by warranty I think the best people to ask are the people that cover the warranty. Call GM customer service with VIN in hand.

If your Vue has the VTI transmission, there is NO fixing it. You can thank FIAT for the pile of CRAP.

blaisa 03-02-2014 01:32 PM

The vehicle has the 2.2 4 cylinder with the vti transmission.

sw2cam 03-02-2014 03:02 PM

If you plan on using this forum go to the new member area and introduce yourself. When your done with that open the USER CP and add your first name, location, and car info to your "signature" then get involved.

Rubehayseed 03-02-2014 06:00 PM

Sounds to me like you're going to have to find another transmission for it. Good luck with that. I understand it's not that easy and they can be pricey.

blaisa 03-03-2014 10:19 AM

I have posted in the newbie section now. Thanks for the reminder.

Yes those transmissions are rather expensive from what I have seen. My question is what components usually fail in these transmissions? Has anyone ever heard of the differential failing in these tranny's? I ask this because of the clacking I hear at low speed which seems to be coming from the area where the CV shafts enter the transmission.

Rubehayseed 03-03-2014 02:13 PM

Wow! Do you still have that Sunbeam Alpine? I have a brother 15 years older than me that had a 64 Alpine, but it had the stock four cylinder and four speed trans in it. I loved that car when I was a kid, but another brother 12 years older than me borrowed it and wrecked it for him. That sucked.

blaisa 03-04-2014 07:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed (Post 42646)
Wow! Do you still have that Sunbeam Alpine? I have a brother 15 years older than me that had a 64 Alpine, but it had the stock four cylinder and four speed trans in it. I loved that car when I was a kid, but another brother 12 years older than me borrowed it and wrecked it for him. That sucked.

I have all of the vehicles which are on the list. I have a rather large shop and keep them all inside either on the floor or on storage lifts.

As for the Sunbeam. It is a work in progress as it has been for several years. I have modified the body to look more like an AC Cobra. All flares and the cowl induction hood are hand formed steel. I have everything to finish it except unfortunately the time and motivation. I'll try to attach a pic.

Rubehayseed 03-04-2014 08:25 AM

Man, that is awesome. You really should finish that one.