Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   New 08 vue xr owner (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/new-08-vue-xr-owner-10383/)

rbbarron 12-23-2015 12:55 PM

New 08 vue xr owner

Just bought an 08 vue xr with 86k miles. I don't see many post on 08 models. I can buy an extended service plan for $1650 for 3yr/36k. i have heard they are pricy to service. Any comments?
Anyone know of a service manual available?
I have also heard that when GM discontinued the Vue they rebranded it with a few more goodies under the Cadillac STS. Also heard that the 3.6 is a Honda engine. Any truth in either?

derf 12-23-2015 02:16 PM

The 3.6 from 2008 was not a Honda engine. 3.5 maybe.
the 6T70 Tranny in it will have a 3,5,R waveplate issue with shift flares fromm 3-4 and 5-6 developing and loss of reverse. The only remedy is to disassemble the tranny, remove and replace the broken waveplate with a redesigned one. Depending on how it breaks it can send shrapnel throughout the system and take out the torque converter too.

Mine went at 93K under extended warranty. Otherwise a $2500 repair

It's a crap shoot / time bomb. It was the first year for the 6T70 /6T75 trannys. They are all across GM.

GM reintroduced the last gen Vue as the Chevy Captiva, but took away the option for the 3.6. Originally intended for a fleet vehicle audience, I guess the sales were so hot that anyone can have one. And they will, because it says Chevrolet on the back and they get generally crappier service than if they had bought the one with the Saturn badge and had a decent Saturn dealership maintain it.
----------------
It still amazes me to this day that GM would and DID intentionally turn public opinion against one of its own divisions with one of the highest customer satisfaction / brand loyalty ratings across all of GM.

And that's why my wife now drives a Ford Escape.
I'll wait 10 yrs for the current GM clueless wonders to get their heads far enough out of their asses to retire, then see if the new blood has the ability to think logically, not just cheaply. PEOPLE DIED because they were cheap. Ad the bankruptcy released them of all their liability for that. How convenient.

No point in stepping forward like an honorable company and standing behind the mistakes you made that cost people their lives and destroyed families.

Sorry, off topic. But it's being reminded of the GM way of
  • knowing there's a problem but pretending to customer it does not exist
  • having their bluff called by 10,000 customers and admitting there MIGHT be a problem but "needs more research"
  • trying to stall and wait out the current complaining owners of their vehicles who were frustrated by non action and sold them
  • getting their bluff called again by 20,000 customers because now twice as many vehicles have developed the non-issue during the stalling period
  • releasing a TSB telling how the problem should be dealt with on a technical level, never informing customers nor acknowledging that a problem DOES exist and GM KNOWS what the problem is.
  • usually offering very limited insufficient or no additional coverage for costly repairs due to design flaws
OK, sorry, I'm done

rbbarron 12-23-2015 03:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. Did your tranny fail at 93k? That seems to be about the average as reported under tranny problems.

derf 12-23-2015 10:44 PM

Yep. Covered under extended warranty.

Did not know 93k was the average......