2002 Saturn Vue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Question 2002 Saturn Vue

I have a 2002 Saturn Vue. It started having shifting problems, like put it in reverse, and it felt like it was in idle for 10-15 secs then it kicked in. While driving on the freeway at freeway speeds, it will all of a sudden feel like it dropped out of gear, I can press the gas and it will not speed up, then wham it goes back into gear. So, thinking it obviously has something to do with the transmission, I took it to a transmission shop.

I know a little about cars, enough to make me dangerous, lol. So, I was told the first day they had the transmission out and was trying to diagnose what was wrong with it. When I called back the next day, I was told it was that 'transmission speed sensor".

So, I went to Autozone online and looked up the part. It was listed for $34.99. But when it showed a picture of the part, it does not look like a part that goes "inside", it looks like an electrical part on the outside. So, why would the mechanic need to drop the transmission to determine that this sensor was the culprit? He is wanting to charge me $500 to replace this $34.99 part.

So, I have 2 questions:
1. Could the problems I am having with my car be coming from a faulty speed sensor?

2. Does the transmission need to be removed to diagnose the speed sensor as the culprit? Like is the location of the part above the transmission and you can't get to it unless you drop it?

3. Is $500 a "reasonable" amount to charge for this if it is just a part that needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

*** this is the type of transmission that is in my vehicle per contacting Saturn: M45 TRANSMISSION AUTO 5 SPD, AF33, (TIPTRONIC)

Last edited by twigz; 07-03-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

Get the codes he read when scanned the vehicle. Was the Service Engine Soon /MIL lamp on? Ask him for all the PCM AND TCM codes.

I am not familiar with the AF33 (Aisin AF33 I believe), but you can google it and will likely find a schematic of the tranny of where the speed sensor is. I would think it would be called an output shaft speed sensor -- but that's just me.

It would be idiotic to design a sensor like that such that they would have to pull the tranny.

Also, SOME of these tranny places will tell you they've dropped or disassembled things when they haven't done squat besides reading codes. Why? $$$ you haven't agreed to pay for more than a diag. why would they want to eat hours of labor if you say no to the repair.

The following is up to you to decide:

Get the codes first and post here.

Find a diagram of the Aisin F33 and locate said speed sensor.

If you want to see if they are f'ing you over, pull into the next business lot over,in a car they've not seen and park where they can't see you, and locate your vehicle. If it is on the lift, you'll be able to tell if the tranny is still in the car or not. If it is not on the lift, you know they never took it out in the first place.

With NO ANGER and a straight calm face:

Then walk in and tell them you're there to pick up the vehicle; you've decided against the repair and need the vehicle back. Now. They will likely try to scare you with all kinds of scenarios where you could die by not having it fixed, or the old "sir, it's just not safe to drive, I can't give it back to you." Tell him as of today, GM has issued no notices regarding a safety recall related to this condition, so legally you'll have to disagree, and you will take your chances.

Keep asking politely to pay the diag fee (pre agreed price--do not allow them to jack it up for things you never consented to.) and for your keys and the vehicle--over and over --until you get them. They know they have already lost the job and that you will stand there until you pay your fair share and drive away. Oh --- be sure to ask if the transmission fluid is full before you drive away.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:50 AM

You didn't take it AAMCO did you? All Automatics Must Come Out. I've NEVER seen a transmission that has to come out in order to be diagnosed. CVI's (clutch volume indexes) can be read with a pressure tester attached to ports and a scanner that's capable of reading the transmission codes can be connected to the diagnostic port. You're getting bent over, big time.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

$500 seems extreme for a diagnosis charge. I do not think your problem is entirely speed sensor related. Your reverse delay sounds like low fluid level. Your highway speed in and out may be speed sensor or low fluid. I would thank them and pay a reasonable diagnostic charge, probably one hour labor and remove your car. This is about $96.00 here in Oregon, it may be more or less where you live. Let us know what you decide to do.
Andy

Old 07-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Default Thanks for all your help

Thanks all, I am going there tomorrow when they open and pay a diagnostic fee, and take my care elsewhere.

Thanks for all your help and have a great 4th!!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

What Andy said.

Kinda like what I said but his advice has all the passive aggressive behavior eliminated.
The one time I went to AAMCO, the place tried to sell me a new tranny over a vacuum leak. Clearly I have not yet recovered. That was 1989.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM

Ditto what derf said. Stay away from AAMCO. They tried to pull the same thing on a buddy of mine back in 1984. I fixed his car in 5 minutes and all it cost him was a couple of beers.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Updates?

Old 07-08-2017, 06:42 AM

Never to be heard from again?

Old 07-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

I have a good feeling about this guy. He'll be back when it gets sorted out.

Quick Reply: 2002 Saturn Vue