Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   Driver sun visor (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/driver-sun-visor-10388/)

rbbarron 12-26-2015 02:27 PM

Driver sun visor

Just got the 08 Vue last week. The drivers side sun visor swivels down on the rod and no longer has tension to hold it in place. Any idea on a fix? How is the visor removed for repair?

derf 12-27-2015 01:11 AM

08 10 Saturn Vue 08 14 Chevrolet Captiva LH Titanium Sun Visor New 22771484 | eBay

gives you a good idea of the mounting arrangement
They are likely screws screwed into a mounting plate which may or may not shift without the visor attached, so pay close attention when you take the last screw off as to what is where.

I don't remember it being spring loaded, though if it is, it may be that leaving it pulled down for long periods fatigues the spring until it no longer has enough tension to support the weight of the visor.

Off the top of my head, it seems you would have to insert something ABOVE the retaining plate to limit the travel downwards, but that would be kinda permanent unless you're pretty crafty.

rbbarron 12-27-2015 11:45 AM

Visors

Thanks for the answer. There are a couple of used visors on ebay for under $50. New are near $200. I did get the idea of how to proceed.

derf 12-27-2015 07:37 PM

I would definitely ask the seller HOW they behave when held in your problematic position; no sense it buying a dud.

$200 to block out the sun? On one side.....Come on....Thanks, GM.....

rbbarron 01-06-2016 08:01 PM

Thanks again for the advise on the plastic mounting plate. I got the Ebay visor in and installed it today. It is like new condition, so a great buy at $35 in stead of $200 from the dealer. It was sort of a challenge but I have the tools on hand. One needs a set of the plastic trim removing tools, a Phillips and small regular screw driver, and needle nose pliers. Starting at the seem in the mounting plate cover and working around the edge remove it. Remove the three Phillips screws. then release the clip ears in the two small slots and release the clips in the larger slot with the needle nose plier GENTLY, pull down on the head liner at the back of the opening with one finger while tugging on the wire harness. It will come out with patience. Remember to check the position of the plastic mounting plate with relation to the three screws holes in the car roof. I got the clips in the slots to engage by tweeking up on the screws in rotation The plate cover is also a little tough to get to snap in place but it will go if the relationship of the break in the plate is turned to about one O'clock toward the mirror.

derf 01-07-2016 12:44 AM

Glad to hear it's fixed.

Thank you very much for taking the time to come back and post a detailed explanation of the repair. (Most folks just disappear)

fsc66 01-06-2018 08:40 PM

Broken Sun Visor solution:

None of the posted remedies work that I have seen on any forum or on you tube. The problem is that the broken mechanism is inside the sun visor and you would have to tear off the material to even see what the issue is. I also looked all over for a reasonably priced replacement sun visor for my 2008 Saturn Vue to no avail. Here is the smartest place to find any used sun visors you may be looking for:
Search Results This is a site to search junk years throughout the US. Many different ways to search then filter your results by location. I found a repalcement illuminated 2008 Saturn Vue passenger side visor condition "A" for $30.00, plus $15.00 shipping. Installed it today and works as good as new. Paul

derf 01-07-2018 05:08 PM

Thanks for sharing the info!

fsc66 01-08-2018 10:08 AM

My pleasure, I have seen what a hassle this is all over the web. It's a very poor design on the Saturn and Cobalt sun visors and should have been a recall. It wouldn't be so bad if these were repairable but ripping apart the material does not lead to a user friendly repair.
Paul