CVT to Automatic or 5 speed conversions

Old 04-21-2018, 10:02 AM

Guess it has been a while. I need to update my signature!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Any information like that is destined for a sticky, and we'd love as a Saturn forum community to have it.

At your pace.

I hope I remembered to thank you for your service to our country when you joined and I learned of it. If not, thank you,
I now thank every veteran I come across in life. Including the young ones who have been put in harm's way in a reckless manner.
It puts a glow in the eyes of the elderly vets in nursing homes like nothing I've ever seen.
I've listened to their stories from the ones wishing to share and it makes them so happy not to relive it but to pass it down so it is not forgotten.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:34 AM

An attempt to upload the CVT conversion write-ups

Attached Files
File Type: docx
4 speed.docx (14.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: docx
5 speed.docx (14.8 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-21-2018, 10:36 AM

Please let me know if you can view them and if you feel they need anything prior to posting as sticky's

Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

I can’t open them, but I run Apple.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Converting a Saturn Vue with a CVT transmission to a 4 speed Automatic from a Vue. 2.2 Ecotec equipped Vue's.

**This Modification works on Front wheel drive or AWD models as well as converting from AWD to front wheel drive without issue.

List of required parts:

Transmission assembly and the following additional components

1. Engine / Transmission cradle assembly. I used all of the steering and suspension components from the donor vehicle which were attached to the cradle since everything bolts right up.
2. Top transmission mount to include the mount that bolts into the frame
3. Engine wiring harness
4. Body wiring harness
5. Transmission control Module
6. Engine control module
7. Both driveshafts
8. Front (passenger side) engine motor mount
9. Transmission mounts front and back
10. Radiator with Transmission cooler lines
11. Either extend the exhaust forward about an inch or swap out exhausts
12. Shifter and shift cable assembly
13. Transmission Control module mount bracket
14. All hardware from above components

Pretty straight forward swap other than a few details.

Note: The engine in this arrangement sets approximately 1” forward of the location of a CVT equipped Vue. This requires the different mounts for the engine and extension of the exhaust by approximately 1 inch. Everything basically fits the same. Probably the worst part of the conversion is the swapping out of the body wiring harness. BUT! Don’t worry, nothing to do with the dashboard. The harness that needs to be swapped runs from the relay/fuse box under the hood all the way back to the tail lights and fuel pump including into all doors. Ensure that when you re-install that all the grounds are clean and tight. Really not that hard to swap just time consuming. There is a large quick disconnect right under the hood release which disconnects this harness from the dashboard harness. Thank God!! You will have to pull the entire interior out and disassembly all the doors. The harness also runs up under the shifter assembly and plugs into the fuse / relay box in the passenger side of the console.

Does the conversion still seem worth it? Some would say no. I probably wouldn't recommend it unless a relatively cheap wrecked donor was available with known good components. As for what automatic donor, I have only done this automatic conversion once so far and that was using a 2005 2.2L 4 cylinder / 4 speed automatic Vue donor to convert a 2005 2.2L 4 cylinder / AWD CVT equipped Vue. I would imagine that any 2.2L 4 cylinder 4 speed automatic equipped Vue could be a donor vehicle regardless of year.

If you go from AWD CVT to FWD, as I did and swap out the rear suspension for the lighter FWD style ensure that if your rear hubs are ABS hubs, re-install ABS hubs or it will set off your ABS and traction control lights on the dash. The hubs are interchangeable and easy to swap out so removing them from the AWD assembly and installing them into the FWD assembly will work.

Not sure if they ever made an "automatic" AWD transmission for the 2.2L 4 cylinder, but from my experience in other Vue's you can run an AWD transmission in a FWD application without issue.

After doing this conversion, when finished with all work the vehicle will not start. Re-programming the computers to recognize the new computers in the system is required.

Here is how.
** Ensure that the battery is fully charged and in good condition. Faulty battery will effect the effectiveness of this procedure.
1. Disconnect batter4y for 30 seconds then reconnect. (personal step but I always start procedure off fresh)
2. Crank engine: should attempt to start then stall. Release the key but do not turn off.
3. Security light should be either on or blinking. Should continue to do so for approximately 10 minutes.
4. When security light goes out turn key to the OFF position for 30+ seconds
5. Turn key to the ON position but do not crank. Security light will stay lit or blink for 10 more minutes
6. When security light goes out turn key to the OFF position for 30+ seconds
7. Turn key to the ON position but do not crank. Security light will stay lit or blink for 10 more minutes.
8. When security light goes out turn the key off then attempt to start the engine.
9. If the procedure worked the engine should start. If not, repeat procedure.

If there are any questions in regard to this write up I will be glad to answer. If further research is required I will gladly do it.
Andrew Blaisdell
Marion, KY
blaisa@hotmail.com

Last edited by blaisa; 04-22-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 PM

Looked a lot better / organized before posting!

Old 04-21-2018, 11:40 PM

5 Speed conversion from CVT transmission in a Saturn Vue.

List of required parts:Transmission complete with the following components from 5 speed Vue
1. Top transmission mount to include mount that bolts into the frame.
2. Shifter assembly with shifter cables and all clips
3. Solid mount shaft assembly which runs to passenger side driveshaft
4. Front and rear transmission mounts
5. Engine wiring harness
6. Engine ECM
7. Clutch and brake pedal assembly
8. Clutch master cylinder with reservoir and all hosing/piping
9. Flywheel with clutch and pressure plate assembly (Hopefully you fine a really good one when you pull your donor transmission because they are over $400 for the clutch set)
10. Drivers side driveshaft. Passenger side is the same as your original
11. All hardware for above items.

Basically, a straight forward swap. The only vehicle modification needed to be done is to install the clutch pedal assembly. Steering column assembly removal is required. There are studs in the firewall marking where the holes need to be drilled to mount the clutch master cylinder. Cut off the studs (inside) and drill through the heads from the engine compartment. I make a paper template of the clutch master cylinder to mark all holes required prior to drilling anything. Cut the master cylinder center hole with a hole saw. It is much easier to replace the clutch and brake pedal assembly then to attempt to modify the existing brake pedal assembly to except a clutch pedal. Removal of the brake booster and master cylinder is not required. Just slide it forward into the engine compartment top provide room top swap out the pedal assembly. Removing the Gas pedal will afford additional room but not really necessary.

As for the clutch pedal depress to start safety switch run two wires from the switch on the pedal assembly to the small wire on the starter. Cut the small wire, which engages the starter, and connect each wire from the clutch pedal switch to one end of the wire. This only allows the starter to be engaged when the clutch pedal is depressed as is supposed to.

Clutch bleeding can be a real pain. I recommend that the clutch hose be bled prior to connecting it to the transmission. I have found that the best way to accomplish this it to elevate the end of the hose/pipe assembly as high as possible and do the following. Insert something into the tip of the hose assembly which will hold the check ball open BUT will not damage the check ball and seat. Put the end of the hose into a clear (so you can watch for bubbles and watch level for increase) container of brake fluid so that the end of the hose is submerged. Fill reservoir and bleed system until you do not see air coming out of the hose. There will be no restriction on the pedal. Keep a close eye on reservoir as it will empty quickly. Once accomplished remove the item used to hold check ball valve open and then remove end of hose from brake fluid. Your clutch pedal should be hard but do not force it as the plastic piece on the pedal arm is fragile. Plug end of hose into transmission after ensuring that the retainer clip is installed. Further bleeding “usually” is not required. If once you have the hose plugged into the transmission your clutch pedal is hard to push down recheck for full insertion into transmission. Pedal will not be hard unless something is wrong.

Doing this modification, when finished with all work the vehicle will not start. Re-programming the computers to recognize the new computers in the system is required. Here is how.
  1. Crank engine: should attempt to start then stall. Release the key but do not turn off.
  2. Security light should be either on or blinking. Should continue to do so for approximately 10 minutes.
  3. When security light goes out turn key to the OFF position for 30+ seconds
  4. Turn key to the ON position but do not crank. Security light will stay lit or blink for 10 more minutes
  5. When security light goes out turn key to the OFF position for 30+ seconds
  6. Turn key to the ON position but do not crank. Security light will stay lit or blink for 10 more minutes.
  7. When security light goes out turn the key off then attempt to start the engine. If the procedure worked the engine should start.
Good Luck and Safe Driving.

Last edited by blaisa; 04-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

If you still have the info on the CVT transmission swaps for my 2003 Vue with the 2.2L & CVT, I would appreciate it...It's cold and rainy here in north GA and I need a project to get me thru to spring!

Old 02-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Thank you sir!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CVT to Automatic or 5 speed conversions