Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   2004 Saturn Vue AWD shakes when I hit 50-55 MPH (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/2004-saturn-vue-awd-shakes-when-i-hit-50-55-mph-11258/)

harrisck 04-19-2018 02:07 AM

2004 Saturn Vue AWD shakes when I hit 50-55 MPH

Hello Everyone, new member to this forum. I have a 2004 Saturn Vue AWD with 79,000 miles on it. My car has began to shake/vibrate when I hit 50-55 MPH. I asked around and some people thought that it could be a broken belt in one of the tires. I have taken it to Tire Discounters and this was not the problem. They thought they had fixed the problem though. They said my tires just needed to be balanced. I left feeling relieved, just to realize my car still shakes. They think it could be a wheel baring starting to go out? But it could be a number of things he said. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? When it started I was merging on the highway and I thought I heard a clunk/bang before it began to shake.

Rubehayseed 04-19-2018 07:31 AM

Take it to a COMPETENT shop and ask them to check your axles. It sounds to me like you've got a defective half-shaft, but I'm NOT a mechanic.

derf 04-19-2018 09:15 AM

Check for bent rims, tires out of round. Have you whacked a curb or gone unintentionally off roading so to speak.

Is the Vue in alignment? Does it show uneven tire wear> I'll also assume these are only the 2nd set of tires? How old are they?

Bearing doubtful in my mind. That is low mileage for your rig........

Do a full tire rotation on your vehicle. If the vibe disappears, you've narrowed it down to one of the two tires/wheels that were in the front before you rotated and not something else. Be aware if you have a bent rim on front and one in the rear, you may get fooled after rotation if it is still there. Put the other rear wheel on the front and try it that way.
It also may be uneven tire wear, though that is often not speed specific.

harrisck 04-19-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 59372)
Check for bent rims, tires out of round. Have you whacked a curb or gone unintentionally off roading so to speak.

Is the Vue in alignment? Does it show uneven tire wear> I'll also assume these are only the 2nd set of tires? How old are they?

Bearing doubtful in my mind. That is low mileage for your rig........

Do a full tire rotation on your vehicle. If the vibe disappears, you've narrowed it down to one of the two tires/wheels that were in the front before you rotated and not something else. Be aware if you have a bent rim on front and one in the rear, you may get fooled after rotation if it is still there. Put the other rear wheel on the front and try it that way.
It also may be uneven tire wear, though that is often not speed specific.

I have not hit anything on the tires while driving. I got the tires brand new three years ago next month. Great tread on them still. I only got the tires balanced because they thought that was the problem. It was out of balance. I have been trying to avoid highways but I got on it today and I can feel it vibrate in the gas pedal and on the arm rests. The steering wheel doesn't shake. I am going back tomorrow. Hopefully they find the problem this time. I will get a rotation then as well.

derf 04-20-2018 02:01 AM

You feel it through the accelerator and armrest, but NOT the steering wheel......

Did you first notice this after not driving/moving the car for an extended period of time?

harrisck 04-20-2018 05:05 AM

Barely shakes the steering wheel. And no I drive my car everyday.

derf 04-21-2018 10:18 AM

Hmm.

Try the standard rotation and get the rears in the front and see if it makes any difference.

I would thin a broken belt would wreak havoc on any attempt to balance it

Does it go away above 55 or stay and intensify, or disappear, then come back at a higher speed?

blaisa 04-21-2018 11:00 AM

Do you feel it is coming from any particular corner of the vehicle? I use my entire body's contact area with the car to troubleshoot a vehicles issues. Father taught (Drive by the seat of your pants son!) :) If it is only at a certain speed it is definitely drive line balance related. Did they balance all 4 tires? When they did, did they inspect all 4 tires for run out (high spots in the tires) "broken belt in the tire"? Sometimes spinning slowly is really the only way to spot it. I usually jack the vehicle up and watch the tire tread height as I spin the wheel and watch for a fluctuation. Believe me it doesn't have to be much. Before you check spin and take a rag and wipe debris from the tire so as to not get any false appearance of a bad tire. Also look at the rim for wobble or horizontal run out as it's called. I'm betting on the rears since your not feeling it in the steering.

blaisa 04-21-2018 11:16 AM

Seriously doubt it is a wheel bearing issue because when these wheel bearings go bad they make a loud humming sound long before they ever go so bad to where they allow any vibration. As for CV axles causing the vibration? Once again this is, to me doubtful because of the really low mileage. Do you hear a loud clicking sound when turning sharp when under acceleration at initial start off? If not then your CV shaft joints are in good condition still.

Any other information that you can provide?

harrisck 04-21-2018 09:03 PM

Found out yesterday that it is my drive shaft. It is still intact but there is a part missing causing the car to shake. Thank you for the suggestions!