2003 vue transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

FWIW,

The definition of the code I read said it defaults the tranny to 2nd gear and reverse --nothing else.

But don't believe everything you read...

I highly doubt the vehicle could move in 5th gear from a dead stop.
More than once

O2 LW300's theory makes sense to me in the sense that if all of the issues you had led you to replace the TCM AND you got back your speedo and elec power steering, and you still have them, but the tranny does not have the V it requires to shift gears, it would failsafe into a "I have no idea what gear I'm supposed to be in, so 2nd it is". And I can recognize reverse.

So indeed it could be a connector or wiring issue at the transmission where diff parts of the tranny are independently powered (diff feeds). And the 12V feed for it to shift is just not getting to the tranny.

Don't know if the selector switch carries current and gear selection is determined by a change in resistance with position. You'll need a wiring diagram to confirm that. But if that switch is the first item on the tranny where the ignition V enters the shift part of the tranny circuit, then what 02 said and I am saying are partially consistent with each other-- the ignition voltage is not getting through -- in this case it may indeed be the Tranny range sensor switch.

Not trying to confuse you with two theories at once.

If it is an ignition switch issue per 02, I have a hard time with the coincidental timing of the failure. If the TCM seemed mostly bad before you changed it, it may also have been an issue of poor connections. The V was still there, though, AFTER you replaced the TCM --- again indicating V was getting through and not an issue (on that part of the circuit) with V from the ignition switch.

Based on 02's additional info regarding the behavior of automatic trannys with no ignition voltage, I believe the issue is likely a bad connection, probably at the TRS or the TCM. Check the connectors you disconnected when changing the valve body and the TCM.

Nice to have Andy (02 LW300) on the forum. He has a lifetime of experience and ...wellll......he knows his ****........