Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   09 Vue XR Fallping noise pass floorboard around fuse panel (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/09-vue-xr-fallping-noise-pass-floorboard-around-fuse-panel-11003/)

09VUEXR 07-02-2017 02:10 PM

09 Vue XR Fallping noise pass floorboard around fuse panel

So, OK we purchased this car because it 'seemed to have very little issues..however after 2 months..we started hearing a flapping noise coming from right side console, passenger side where the dash, glove box area..when we turned the air or heat on..
Now no matter, the air blows slightly out the main upper vents, but hard out the floor vents..only cold..
I removed the glove box, remove the cabin filter...that needs replacing..
Now I see the blend door actuator that seems to be the culprit...left of glove box opening...
Any thoughts...getting hot, sure would like to fix this...Should I just replace this actuator and see what happens..?am I on the right track here?
Tried disconnecting battery, reboot HVAC by pressing recirc and AC
buttons.to no avail
JEFF
Sorry "flapping' noise...Flapping..would a 'blend' door that malfunctions 'flap'.

derf 07-03-2017 12:57 AM

Typed a novel in your other post.

What concerns me is that neither the mode actuator nor that 1 blend actuator (air temp control actuator on schematic) are working. I find it strange that both would become dysfunctional at the same exact time.

PLUS if it is a dual zone system, you should have 2 air temp control actuators, one for driver's side, one for passenger.

Additionally, if the design is like GMs older designs, the actuator has a hole in it trough which a solid metal shaft passes. Two opposing sides are flat and match the hole so the shaft cannot slip. Inside the actuator are the gears and motor to move the door.

For the door to physically be flapping would mean it has somehow become damaged and is no longer being held in place by the shaft. However, you said you only hear this when the HVAC unit is turned on, so I doubt that could be the case.

Per my other post, read it in its entirety, post the Bxxxx codes and we'll try to sort it out.

Those modules are often $100 apiece so shotgunning parts is not advised.
The codes should lead you in the right direction

Rubehayseed 07-03-2017 08:40 AM

On Mopars, there is a reset procedure. Does Saturn have one that you can try? I don't know, I'm just asking if that's possible. Like derf said, parts are NOT cheap, so anything you can try before that is worth a shot, right?

derf 07-03-2017 09:17 AM

I did nor know there was one but makes sense.
I'm pretty sure from the other post that the OP tried the reset and was unsuccessful.

09VUEXR 07-03-2017 10:02 AM

Yes,
did some investigation..some say that system reset can be achieved by disconnecting battery..then there's a trick where you push recirc and A/C button 3 times w/in 3 seconds...something like that..to no avail..
So the flapping is weird..like a flag flapping in the wind very fast..initially we didn't get an MIL when we heard the flapping..we though a piece of paper was caught up in the vents....then things went cattywampus ,the upper upper vents ceased to function..well they blow a little air, then an MIL ...I pulled the dash to take a peak at the cabin filter....WOW...what a mess w/ debris...so I'm replacing that...w/o the filter in which was super clogged..the air flow to the floor/upper vents was double it seemed....The screws have been touched..they are black..and any attempt to remove scratches the color off easily..they also were loose as could be...somebody had a look see. The modulator or whatever blend door thing is is visible ..but the 8mm screws have not been touched..so who knows
Going to nearby Auto Zone..grab a filter, have them check codes..
Funny you mentioned the brakes...my wife was at the dealer we purchased the vehicle from, a low tire press light went off, she was right there by chance..pulled in..found a staple in tire...She drove it home and said somethings wrong.I went outside and something blew coincidentally came loose and fluid was dripping from the frame ..but the Trans fluid was non -exist .I checked it properly, seemed like a lot of fluid..Had it towed on them...came back w/a loose brake line ? I'm completely miffed..too much fluid..it was fixed on the dealership which is a very good one...So this A/C issue, tire, the DR seat back bolster knob fell off...I'm not very confident...So we'll see what the software codes are-go from there. I appreciate your quick responses..sincerely !
JEFF

Rubehayseed 07-04-2017 06:59 AM

The flapping is most likely a gear that drives the blend doors. If it's like everything else nowadays, it's plastic and probably missing a few teeth. If it were mine and I could find an easy way to move the door to the dash vents and lock it down, that's what I'd do. Who needs floor vents anyway, right?

02 LW300 07-04-2017 10:06 AM

I have had some mode doors that stick from debris. The actuators will make a ratchet noise because they have come up against something solid. Usually a pen that has fallen down through the defroster vent. On a reset the actuators swing full stroke to relearn their range. If there is something inside limiting the range the actuator control sometimes accepts this as the the new normal. Actuators do fail however as do the doors and linkage.

09VUEXR 07-05-2017 03:18 PM

I guess I could change out the blend door module...there is company on the www that offers repair kits which are more robust...but rather put that money $18, into a new replacement door $54 and see what happens..
I'll open up the used one and see what's up first..
My hope that it is worn, this will solve it..and I'll need to get a system recal..
Amazing..W T H ..my 2002 TB has 141,000 and the air is super cold w/o ever a re-charge...never had HAVC issues..No wonder peeps are not buying new cars...JUNK, and it's super frustrating...How GM can advance 7 years in technology and the result is this abject POS HVAC system..And for something like this to simply 'wear' until it no longer functions is unacceptable...and now a fuel pressure regulator MIL ..the tank has to be R&R'd to fix that-yeah..I'm on it..owned the car for 5 months, 44 K...
Thanks for the responses...I'll report back, take some pics after this gets sorted-so I save another owner some aggravation and $$$
JEFF

derf 07-06-2017 02:34 AM

My neighbor took apart his old defective blend door module. To our surprise the gears looked fine other than dry. Apparently the little stepper/servo motor was misbehaving. So the gears may not be worn and the thing can still malfunction.

What fuel pressure regulator code?