Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   08 Vue XE - Electical Issue When Starting (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/08-vue-xe-electical-issue-when-starting-11076/)

teenug 09-16-2017 08:53 PM

08 Vue XE - Electical Issue When Starting

Hello, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction with the problem that I've been occasionally having with my 08 Saturn VUE XE.

I got in my car a few weeks ago and put the key in the ignition and turned it and I realized that there was no electricity going to the car and the key became stuck.

I went to go pop the hood to try and jump start it using my emergency battery pack, while leaving the keys stuck in the ignition and by the time I got around to the front of the car, somehow by some strange magic, electricity started running to car and without me doing anything.

I then drove and everything worked just fine for a few weeks and it happened again yesterday. I went through the drill of popping the hood open and was about to connect it to my battery backup when the lights magically turned on again.

I'm not entirely sure what is wrong with it, but hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

Rubehayseed 09-17-2017 07:28 AM

Now, I'm NOT a mechanic, so keep that in mind. BUT, it might be your ignition lock cylinder itself. Maybe it's gummed up and your key gets stuck. By the time you get out, pop the hood etc, the tumblers lose the tension and it makes contact. IDK. I'd try getting some spray graphite and lubricating the key and the key hole first. It's not expensive and most of your chain auto parts stores carry it. Good luck with it.

teenug 09-17-2017 11:16 PM

Thanks Rubehayseed. I gave it a shot, but it ended up happening again. I feel like this isn't the issue as I also noticed that the clock on the radio had reset as well.

I remember a few weeks ago when I came back from vacation there was a layer of forest fire ash on the car, so I`m guessing that is probably at least a contributing factor to it.

Rubehayseed 09-18-2017 07:33 AM

Sorry that didn't help. I'm not at all familiar with a Vue. I've never even looked under the hood on one. I still think it's switch related, but like I said, I'm NOT a mechanic. Maybe Andy or derf will have a couple of ideas for you. Just hang in there and don't give up.

02 LW300 09-18-2017 09:47 AM

I would start at the battery. Remove, clean and reinstall the cables. If one is slightly loose that would cause what you describe happening.

teenug 09-29-2017 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by 02 LW300 (Post 58197)
I would start at the battery. Remove, clean and reinstall the cables. If one is slightly loose that would cause what you describe happening.

That was 100% the issue. Once everything was cleaned up and recharged the battery everything started working normally again

Thanks for the help!

Rubehayseed 09-29-2017 08:04 AM

Nice catch, Andy. Stick around teenug. You're going to need this forum since you have a Vue.