Replacing Ignition Cylinder

Old 06-21-2022, 06:35 PM
Default Replacing Ignition Cylinder

Someone tried to drive off with my sky, they screwed up, so the car is still in the driveway. However, the ignition is trashed. The key will not work inside it now.

My dilemma is when I get the new ignition, I want that key to work with my current door locks.

Ideally, I do not want to have two keys for one car. I would just use the remote to lock and unlock, but I do a lot of water sports and can't have the remote with me. And I don't like the idea of leaving a key that will start the car in a vehicle inside and unattended.

I was reading up on how to rekey a car ignition, but I don't know where you are supposed to get the wafers if you are not a locksmith.

Stuff online says to just ones the wafers in your old car ignition, but those are all twisted up.

Any help thinking this out would be great! Maybe the rekey thing is not as good as some other option I am missing.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:02 PM

Doorman makes the sets. Check this one out on eBay. I used a Doorman kit on my 99 Grand Caravan and it worked perfectly. A pair of needle nose pliers and some patience was all I needed. That and you'll want some paper towels to clean things up with and if you can find it, a little powdered graphite to lube the new tumblers. Your local autozone, advance or o'reilly may have one of these kits in stock. Just compare the #. Here's the eBay link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/373820041287

Old 06-21-2022, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think the issue may be that the new ignition can only be paired with the new key. Or shall I say it comes programmed that way.

I would contact a GM dealer to determine your options. They can likely redo the tumbler from their records on the car as built, then reprogram the key to work with the new ignition and security system.