Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

What have you done to your Saturn Lately?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Default What have you done to your Saturn Lately?

I did not see a thread like this and thought it would be nice to see what others are doing to their Saturns.

I bought this 2002 Saturn July 31st 2017, Paid $400 for it. It had the typical Saturn transmission issues, Slamming into gear. I Bought a Reman Valve Body from Ken Partin off of ebay for $230.00 that has the 'Sonnax Sleeve' installed.

This weekend I have installed that Valve body, Changed the Trans Fluid, new Transmission Filter Installed new Coil Packs (originals were still on it but were cracked). Installed a new Double Din Stereo with Back up Camera. and now in the process of cleaning the engine compartment. Cleaned The Throttle body, Cleaned the EGR, new air filter, new PCV

The Future may include New Headlight assembly's, all new LED lighting, Oil change, Power Steering Flush, Radiator Flush and possibly swap out the 14" tires for 16" if I find the right set up

Last edited by scottmgordon; 08-19-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

When it comes to older Saturns, and most cars in general, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

[This is not me being holier than thou or lecturing/barking things at the new guy. I'm in a hurry so it may not come across smoothly but I'm not taking pot shots so please don't take it that way]

For example, if you're not having cooling system issues and the specific gravity is within range for where you live, you're just as likely to clog cooling passages with sediment when you try to flush the system as you are to flush the system clean.

Do a drain n refill (remember to remove block drain plug as well). Sediment either drains out or is undisturbed.

Do not use autozone pcv's for the s car engines. They pass way too much oil as compared to the oem ones. Source: 20 yr Saturn Tech

Your oil change should happen NOW. Even if it was changed recently, no doubt it was w 5W30. Use 10W30 in non-winter months, 5W30 in winter.

If you start getting EGR codes that just keep coming back, pm me as opposed to running out and buying a new one.

PS: Again, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Why put extra stress on the seals of the PS system when things are operating fine as is?
----------
I admire your commitment to thorough maintenance and upkeep, and wanting to reset the baseline, so to speak. But sometimes, it's just better to leave things alone on a car with 200K.

I WOULD consider a full brake system flush/bleed and an alignment before sinking toomuch money into other stuff.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:25 PM

The Radiator appears to be seeping some, going to wait until I get a new one before I do a coolant flush.

Just making sure things are square with this car before i give it to my daughter

Now it shifts like hot butter ( Smooth )

never touch the autozone parts. too many bad experiences with their junk...

Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 AM

Welcome to the forum. You're obviously an intelligent person, since you know that the Zone sells crappy parts. I know because I worked for the sorry bastards for 5 years in management. Advance is no better.

Old 08-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Let me guess, near one of the mounts?

I would suggest replacing it before you overheat the car.
SOHCs are prone to head warpage problems (more so than DOHCs) when they overheat. Usually ok but not something you want to be dealing with.

What are the compression readings across the cyls?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

My L attended it's first total solar eclipse today. There was a 2000sl parked behind it. I did chat with it's owner, this was his 7th total eclipse.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by derf
Let me guess, near one of the mounts?

I would suggest replacing it before you overheat the car.
SOHCs are prone to head warpage problems (more so than DOHCs) when they overheat. Usually ok but not something you want to be dealing with.

What are the compression readings across the cyls?
Haven't thought about doing a compression test on it, I'll dig out the tester this weekend.