Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   Saturn SL1 1992 Seat Belts Not Working (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/saturn-sl1-1992-seat-belts-not-working-4919/)

myriamannick 09-07-2010 10:23 PM

Saturn SL1 1992 Seat Belts Not Working

I just bought a Saturn, and my seat belts are not working. I'm wondering if the previous owners could have stopped the seat belts from working, because they found them annoying...or if they are broken. They remain in the buckled position and are not moving whatsoever. What should I do?

OceanArcher 09-08-2010 04:13 PM

Well - unfortunately, this portion of the vehicle is notorious for breaking down ... what with the motor that drives the belt up and down the track, and the control card itself which is between the seats, underneath the console -- right where any spilled beverage is likely to drip onto energized circuits. First place I'd start, is the fuse panel(s)

myriamannick 09-09-2010 05:45 AM

Only the PREST fuse or all of them?

uncljohn 09-09-2010 02:20 PM

Not to mention that the belts are cable operated through a convoluted cable track around the door opening and once some thing wears to the point where the cable jumps the track, the whole thing is a write off. And there are no parts available any longer.

derf 09-09-2010 06:06 PM

just leave them be in the safe position. The cars came from the dealership with metal hooks to insert into the tracks for when the situation arose that the motors werent cooperating -- check the glove box

myriamannick 09-09-2010 09:23 PM

I just would like to figure out exactly what's wrong with them and if it's not too difficult...to fix it. I bought this old Saturn mainly for the motorized seat belt, otherwise, I would have gone for something a little bit newer.

myriamannick 09-09-2010 09:43 PM

I have another Saturn (SL2 1993) in the driveway (destined for the scrap yard) If there's anything to change...I could probably swap it from one to the other. I never had any problems whatsoever with the seat belts on that one, even though drinks have been spilled a few times...

derf 09-09-2010 09:50 PM

you can go to great lengths to fix them but the belt motors and the control modules are weak points on these years of S cars -- it's really not worth the effort --\

It's unclear to me why you would buy this car for the motorized belts if they weren't working when you bought it (??)

myriamannick 09-09-2010 10:01 PM

That's the thing...I didn't have much time to look at the car...It's my mistake really. But I asked the dealer if it had been inspected, if everything was working perfectly? He said that everything was working perfectly on it. I was duped!

derf 09-11-2010 10:08 AM

As I stated before, for saftey's sake find the metal track hooks I mentioned above and install them-- between the two cars you must have one set still in the glovebox . I believe the installation is described in the owner's manual (I am going from memory here)