Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   resetting ses light (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/resetting-ses-light-3453/)

volfan945 07-05-2009 07:24 AM

resetting ses light

I have a 1996 saturn it has transmission problems (goes into limp mode or down shifts to lower gear by itself) I have 2 ses lights on one is service engine soon and the other is service with a picture of a wrench beside it. I went to autozone and they can't clear them because it is a 96 (gotta be a 97 or newer) how can i clear codes? Also would a misadjusted netural safety switch cause my transmissiion problems? thanks all

sw2cam 07-05-2009 09:20 AM

First question: Dealer

Second question: No

derf 07-05-2009 10:51 AM

First question -- ummm.... don't you want to read the codes before clearing them?
Second question -- +1 no.

To clear codes without pulling battery -- ign switch on, jumper terminals A and B on the ALDL together 3 times within 5 seconds. SES light should go out. I doubt Service Wrench light will go out.

Reading ODB I codes is easy -- search forum to find out how....all you need is a paper clip.

Post codes and we'll help you troubleshoot.....or just clear them, pretend nothing's wrong, wait for them to come back, THEN post them and we'll help you

volfan945 07-05-2009 12:59 PM

ses light

I tried the paper clip nothin happened, also unplugged the bottom harnness to the nss changes great now, plug it back in and same problem over again

derf 07-05-2009 01:32 PM

so did you read the codes while you had the paper clip near the ALDL ?

please post and we'll help

wes0778 04-26-2010 08:58 AM

Ok, I'm new here and am having problems with my 1995 SC1 coupe. I'll go into more detail later, but for now I need to see what codes may be causing the "Service Engine Soon" light to be on.
I see that there is a way to clear the codes, but help me out with the abreviations, ALDL and NSS.
Thanks!!!
Walter

derf 04-26-2010 12:31 PM

NSS neutral safety switch -- tranny related (nothing to do with reading codes)

ALDL -- Aseembly line diagnostic link -- a diag port located to the left and below the steering wheel on the bottom of the dash.

The codes can be read on an ODB I system (95 and earlier) by shorting Terminals A & B of the ALDL (diag) connector -- turning key to on -- the SES light will then flash code 12 (one blink, short pause, 2 blinks), a total of three times (indicates diag system operational) then any stored codes in a similar manner (with long pauses between codes). Code 12 is then flashed after the stored codes to indicate all stored codes have been displayed.

wes0778 04-28-2010 03:35 PM

HMMM, I have a 1995 SC1 and the instrument cluster went south. I replaced it with a working cluster out of a 1996. Now the engine runs perfectly and the transmission shifts perfectly, but the tach does not move. Is that because the '96 cluster may not be compatible with a '95? It was my understanding when I ordered the '96 cluster that it was compatible up to '98.

wes0778 04-29-2010 06:24 PM

Bump...

OceanArcher 04-29-2010 09:18 PM

Richland -- hmmmmmm. About 150 miles north of me.........