Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

P1602,P1380 & more 97 SL1 1.9L SOHC- no ABS,CRUISE BUT TROUBLE CODES FOR THEM. POPUP

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Default P1602,P1380 & more 97 SL1 1.9L SOHC- no ABS,CRUISE BUT TROUBLE CODES FOR THEM. POPUP

Please Help, I have .1997 Saturn SL1, 1.9L SOHC. 5spd with A/C. This is the bare bones base SL1. No power Steering,Windows,Locks,Cruise.
I have Saturn Codes...I cant figure out whats going on or possible cause. Keep in mind, this car DOES NOT HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
1) No ABS
2) NO KEYLESS ENTRY
3) NO POWER Steering
4) NO Traction Control
5) NO SABILITY CONTROL
6) NO Power Locks
7) NO Power windows
8) NO CRUISE CONTROL

With that Being said, I am pulling up the following:
P1602 not passed sc
(Loss of EBTCM serial data)

P0420- cat system low effecentcy

P10133- B1 Sen 1 O2 Sensor

P1696 def N/A
P1695
P1584 cruise control dissable
1583 cruise direction cuirut high
1582 low
1581 cruise move cuircut high
1580 low
P1380 misfire

What could cause the Codes popup when my car doesnt even have the equipment its showing?
The ECM,PCM,BCM are all original to the car.
any Idea where to start looking to diagnose this troubling issue?

Old 08-30-2018, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Then I believe you have a 97 SL, not an SL1.

I'll read the rest of the post now

Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Are you the only owner?
Has the car ever been in a wreck and reconstructed?
When did the codes pop up and does it correspond with any other event relating to the car?

The P1602 Loss of EBTCM Serial data means the ECM, BCM (doesn't exist in a 97 S car) and TCM cannot communicate with each other.
The modules communicate via a one wire network and pass messages to each other. Somewhere in the wiring, the main communications line has probably been damaged, so that nothing is communicating with anything.

This will cause all kinds of issues, and other modules are also likely not communicating with the ECM.
I'm GUESSINGthat is what is causing the spurious codes for equipment you don't have. The ECM is probably sending out a status request to modules; some that would report back via serial data never receive the message and those that don't exist on your car may still have a termination at the end of the branch where the equipment would normally be, so the ECM can tell the difference between a signal sent to a terminated branch and a signal sent to which there is no response.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:39 PM

1st and for most I really Thank you not just for the amazingly fast response, but also for the detailed information!!
well Acually, I didn't buy it new... I don't have the history. It is in really clean shape inside/out. The mill light would pop on every once & awhile. I tried to scan diagnostic...but my scanner wouldn't power up. I traced it to a 10amp Fuse located passenger side, left side (Lower Front Consol area). Replaced the fuse, Got Power in my DLC 16 PEN. THE Scanner came to life. No DTC or Generic OBII Codes. When I scanned the "Saturn Manufacturers" That Is when I saw all these CODES.
sometimes when starting, the engine spins no start, Turn key off then back on...will start. Sometimes it will stumble duing inital start up. I have noticed that when I roll it off and pop clutch, allways fired..it never has fail to start fast. Also sometimes duiring normal driving, hot or cold... It will hick up. Once...like it stopped ignition or fuel...
i have seen a change in my power. It kinda feels like the A/C Compressor engagement. The draw on the engine... On the A/C wasn't on nor Defrost. During hard acceleration and hwy speed pulling slight grade..
I looked under the driver side dash, near steering column. The "Powertrain Control Module" appears To Be original.. Didnt look like any sign of replacement. Could There Be a fuse somewhere that could be causing these codes?
doesnt appear to have ever been in a collision.. Also, Thank you for the correction on Sub-model. I knew it wasnt the DOHC. If you or anyone knows a good place to start on trying to find the cause. I sure appreciate it!!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

I would clear all codes and see what comes back. The only codes that I would look into are the O2 sensor code and the cat effeciency code
I get power window codes on trucks with manual windows all the time. The ecm looks for all available options and complains when they all don’t answer.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 PM

Good deal, i will try that

Old 08-30-2018, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

You list only P Codes, so I am assuming your scanner cannot read B codes (body) or U codes (Chassis)

If the P1602 is real, there should be U Codes stored as well. These will help you pinpoint the type and possibly the location of the failure in the communications network.

But you will need to use a more powerful scanner to get at the B and U codes. An Autozone scan will not show them.