Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

new temp sensor and more fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Default new temp sensor and more fun

Here's a big thank you to those who provided answers for the starting/sensor problem with my SL. I happy to report that the check engine light is off and she starts everytime I turn the key. yay!

now her idle is low, she runs rough, is missing, and she tries to die and actually did die a couple times during a short ride to the cul-de-sac and back to driveway.

but at least she starts now, every time.

I will be grateful for any help or information.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:20 AM

Might be time for a tune up. New plugs, wires and PCV valve along with another air filter and throttle body cleaning. I'd also recommend a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. Do you know the last time a tune up was done? If not too long ago, pull the plugs and check them for fouling. The bad ECTS could have caused that to happen.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM

hi, thank you for response. I changed plugs, plug wires, and pc within last week. what is ECTS? To answer a past question, after all work done to get her operating reasonable well, I plan to ask $1000 obo. any thoughts? I do have an extra part (right front axle) and Haynes manual. plus I'll have a printout of current codes if any.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:22 AM

what is a good way to clearn throttle body? And I replaced air filter too.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:51 PM

The ECTS is the electronic coolant temperature sensor that we told you to replace. It's screwed into the cylinder head on the drivers side of the engine. I thought you'd replaced that already. If not, you really need to do so. As for cleaning the throttle body, I just get a can of throttle body cleaner (NOT CARB CLEANER) from a local auto parts store and follow the directions on the can. Usually, remove the air hose leading into the throttle body and with the engine running, spray some in until it looks clean. I actually removed the throttle body on the last SC I had and took it apart and cleaned it. And old toothbrush works pretty good along with the throttle body spray. It may sound complicated, but it's really not. Where are you located? My son is looking for a dependable car. Anywhere near central Florida?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Good running cars sell pretty fast in the $1000 range. I sold my lw300 on the second day. Ask a couple hundred more than you really want and people love to deal.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

it's probably trying to relearn where the idle is supposed to be now that it can run that low (as designed) . If it is a true SL, SOHC 5 spd idle I think is 750-850 ish (too lazy to go open the manual).

I just cleaned the EGR on my 97SC2 and the idling conditions are sufficiently different such that the PCM is yet to completely determine the most stable running conditions within the predefined idle rpm range.

Let it idle in the driveway for 20 min. Then take it for a drive with a bunch of stop signs. At night so no one is behind you. Come to full stops and wait for the rpms to wind all the way down. Once it is pretty close to stable, you shouldn't really have any issues. If it were truly misfiring, it would turn on the SES light and be flashing while misfiring. If it is stumbling and stalling, it may be more that the PCM is trying to push the idle too low in its search for nirvana.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:47 AM

this is great information! thank you so very much. looks like I'm going on a ride tonight.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:37 PM

I wouldn't rule out an intake manifold gasket either, but check the simple stuff first.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

D !!!! Good to hear from you!

Quick Reply: new temp sensor and more fun