Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Need some help with sister’s car

Old 06-27-2007, 09:07 AM
Banned

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Sorry ahead of time for the long post.

My sister owns a 98 SC2. I'm trying to get some info so that I can fix her car properly.

She continually brings it to a mechanic and I feel she is getting sloppy/ poor work done, when she does not need the work done in the first place.

I havesome experience on gasolinevehicles from changing oil to adjusting cam timing and tuning a carb for a big bore job. Just not a lot of time spent under the hood.

What diagnostic devices are available for this vehicle? I am the owner of a VW 1.8t and have a Ross Tech diagnostic dongle. Is there any aftermarket company that can replicate the dealer computer as closely as this equipment? I find this device invaluable in defining any CEL and soft codes, adjusting electronics, adapting throttle body andtransmission, recoding for newkeys,etc. The OBD II readers are not accurate on my VW, are they accurate on the SC2?

What basic maintenance is required for this vehicle? I assume oil every 5k, tranny fluid every 50k minimum, Timing belt (haven't looked, but don't remember seeing one to be honest), water pump (Is the original a plastic or metal impellar? The VWs are plastic and have many broken impellars.), thermostat, (these are hydraulically adjusted valves correct?) etc

Anyone have a service checklist that can send me a PDF?

What is the best service manual to use for this car and where can I get one? Chilton's,GM Service Manual, other?

Whataregood online stores to order parts from?

What basic issues should I watch out for? She has an auto tranny.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by spoolmy1.8

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Sorry ahead of time for the long post.

My sister owns a 98 SC2. I'm trying to get some info so that I can fix her car properly.

She continually brings it to a mechanic and I feel she is getting sloppy/ poor work done, when she does not need the work done in the first place.

I havesome experience on gasolinevehicles from changing oil to adjusting cam timing and tuning a carb for a big bore job. Just not a lot of time spent under the hood.

What diagnostic devices are available for this vehicle? I am the owner of a VW 1.8t and have a Ross Tech diagnostic dongle. Is there any aftermarket company that can replicate the dealer computer as closely as this equipment? I find this device invaluable in defining any CEL and soft codes, adjusting electronics, adapting throttle body andtransmission, recoding for newkeys,etc. The OBD II readers are not accurate on my VW, are they accurate on the SC2?

What basic maintenance is required for this vehicle? I assume oil every 5k, tranny fluid every 50k minimum, Timing belt (haven't looked, but don't remember seeing one to be honest), water pump (Is the original a plastic or metal impellar? The VWs are plastic and have many broken impellars.), thermostat, (these are hydraulically adjusted valves correct?) etc

Anyone have a service checklist that can send me a PDF?

What is the best service manual to use for this car and where can I get one? Chilton's,GM Service Manual, other?

Whataregood online stores to order parts from?

What basic issues should I watch out for? She has an auto tranny.
an obd-ii reader is really your only option for the s-series saturn. it will tell you what codes, if any, are popping up and you'll need to find out what the code means elsewhere. there are lists online if you do a search, tho. usually, just taking the car to an autozone when you have an SES light will get you some answers. they will scan it for free.

um, oil should be changed every 3000 miles and checked every time you refuel. they burn oil pretty good and it might run out if you try to go 5k with it without ever checking the level.

not sure about auto-tranny fluid change intervals. i have a standard gearbox.

you don't have to worry much about a timing belt, all s-series engines have a timing chain. they last a long time. my car has almost 180k miles, has been used ONLY for racing for the past 4 years and i haven't had an issue with the timing chain yet.

water pump is metal. i've never changed mine, tho. same with the thermostat.

best manual, by far, to get is the factory service manuals. they come in a 3 volume set and cost around $125 or so. each volume is about 5 inches thick. to give you an idea of how in-depth it is, the book on brakes alone is about the same thickness as the entire chilton or haynes manual.

good online stores? i've used www.rockauto.com and they've been great. haven't used many other places. at least not for stock replacement parts.

things to watch out for? oil level would be number one concern. number 2 would be the ECTS (electronic coolant temp sensor). other than that, just the regular stuff like on any car; wheel bearings, brakes, motor mounts, radiator (especially the ones with the plastic side tanks), alternator, starter and cv-joints.

some auto trannys have a problem with reverse slam, but a quick online search should get you a solution. another good website is www.saturnfans.com , they have some very knowledgeable people there and a lot of "how to's".

good luck...

s3aturnr