Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   Need help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/need-help-9766/)

99car 11-15-2014 03:33 PM

Need help

Hi I've replaced the spark plugs and spark wires in my Saturn SL1 because it was losing power going up hill and almost completely stopped running.

Now she runs with a lot more power. She actually shakes a bit while in idle, it seems she has way more power than before and I am not sure why she is shaking a bit now. Any answers?

My main question is when I am going up hill still, every so often I lose a bit of power and she kind of jerks a bit to grab power again, then she grabs power and is okay. So I know I am fixing the issue but there still is something wrong here. Could it be the fuel pump?

I don't have any codes as of yet just lose of power every so often going up hills but it isn't as bad as it was that is for sure!

Thanks for your help!

Rubehayseed 11-15-2014 06:46 PM

Automatic of stick? It would really help if you provided more info about your car. If it's an automatic, then perhaps your transmission is slipping and you need to change the fluid and filter. Have you ever done that and how many miles are on the car?

99car 11-20-2014 12:57 PM

Automatic and 140,000 miles

Thanks I will change those things.

john doe 11-20-2014 01:00 PM

check your electronic coolant temp sensor , its a vital part of engine fuel management on these cars .
also sounds like you have a miss but if no codes then we gotta wait until it throws one .

99car 11-20-2014 04:09 PM

Thank you! How do I check that sensor?

john doe 11-21-2014 08:02 AM

well common problems associated with that sensor include ,bad idle,stalling,no starts ,too much or too little fuel being delivered .
its a cheap part rather than check it i would just replace it .
i think you can check it with a ohms meter though but you gotta check it cold ,then heat it up and check it again .
also look at its connector ,sometimes when the part fails it will leak coolant into the connector wiring and foul it up .

heres some info and a location picture at the link .
good luck
http://saturnseries.net/DIY%20Guides...eries-ECTS.htm

tnvikesfan 11-22-2014 02:44 PM

Something else is that you may need to run some injector cleaner through your fuel. I've used Lucas fuel additive in other vehicles (and just started using it in the Saturn we just got) and it's a really good product.

I had a Ford Ranger 2.3L high miles that was bogging going up hills and after running the Lucas through it and a good run down the interstate to 'burn out' all the crap, not only was there more power but my mpg went up.

I'm starting it in my Saturn, only on 2nd tank right now, and not sure if my results are psychosomatic or real. Seems to be a little more power, but that may be me just wanting to feel a difference.

99car 11-22-2014 08:52 PM

Thank you I will give it a go!

derf 11-24-2014 10:37 PM

It's all in your head, Ginny. It's an SOHC so it probably just revs high faster (but still goes nowhere fast):D

tnvikesfan 11-25-2014 09:56 AM

:snort: but I got up the hill and still was going 50 mph.... and I didn't gun it!

99car 12-07-2014 04:39 PM

I replaced the coolant sensor and still my car every so often loses power when going up hill and then grabs it again. She feels like she wants to stall then changes her mind and keeps going. It's like a sputter every so often. Any more ideas? Thank You!

derf 12-07-2014 09:14 PM

Maybe fuel pump is intermittently failing for a second at a time, thus momentarily starving the engine of fuel.

The way to test this to either hook up an odbII scanner with real time data display (actually I'm not sure if it the PCM monitors fuel pressure ) OR hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line's schrader test port located under the hood and measure it by viewing the gauge as you drive the car. You seem to know how to get it to act up under stress -- so go do so and watch that fuel pressure needle on the gauge when things act up. It may drop to 0 momentarily, then right back to normal.

If so, you'll likely need a new fuel pump.

You can do a free loan a tool at autozone or similar or by an inexpensive one to have and to hold.

This is a total educated GUESS. But one that is sorta consistent with your symptoms.

And the only thing it costs to check is time.

99car 12-08-2014 11:12 PM

Thank you!

I have had a fuel pump go bad in a pontiac I owned one time and it was making wheezing sounds. You think even though I hear no wheezing sounds the fuel pump could be a possibility?

Do you think maybe fuel filter could be issue too?

Thanks for your time!

derf 12-09-2014 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 99car (Post 45866)
Thank you!

I have had a fuel pump go bad in a pontiac I owned one time and it was making wheezing sounds. You think even though I hear no wheezing sounds the fuel pump could be a possibility?

Yes---That's why I suggested it. And s car fuel pumps are electric, so i doubt you'll be hearing any wheezing.

Put another way, "a Pontiac is a Saturn not"

Originally Posted by 99car (Post 45866)
Do you think maybe fuel filter could be issue too?
Thanks for your time!

Could be -- how many miles are on it? Could be restricting fuel flow at high loads but from the way you describe your loss of power, it is kinda momentary.

Can't hurt to change the fuel filter FIRST. Then we'll see what happens

99car 12-10-2014 12:25 PM

ok will change fuel filter first thank you!

99car 01-24-2015 10:07 PM

Hi so I've changed the fuel filter now and my car runs much better but it still has issues going up hill. Meaning it jerks a bit and loses power ever so often. Not as bad as it was, so it seems I am fixing the issue but there is still an issue.

The code I got was PO 137 what do you think? Thanks

john doe 01-25-2015 08:23 AM

thats a o2 sensor code . the sensor "after" the cat convertor . that in itself doesnt seem like it would cause your problem ,but if the cat is starting to clog ,well then.....

keith 01-25-2015 05:06 PM

The rear O2 sensor primarily determines if the cat is working, however it sets the long term fuel trim. This is the course fuel trim. The front sensor fine tunes the the fuel trim, but if the rear isn't working, the front sensor has to work harder. They can also give false codes for the cat leading to unnecessary but expensive repairs. I'd change it.

99car 01-26-2015 12:07 PM

Ok thanks I'll change the rear O2 sensor. What do you think about the fuel pump? Because the lose of power happens when I need more fuel, as in when I am going up hill.

Thank you

keith 01-26-2015 12:28 PM

Its a valid conclusion. There are fuel pump pressure checks but I don't know of a flow test other than filling a bucket. Not sure anyone does that test anymore.

derf 01-26-2015 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by derf (Post 45853)
... hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel line's schraeder test port located under the hood and measure it by viewing the gauge as you drive the car. You seem to know how to get it to act up under stress -- so go do so and watch that fuel pressure needle on the gauge when things act up. It may drop to 0 momentarily, then right back to normal.

If so, you'll likely need a new fuel pump......

Snake the fuel pressure gauge line between the hood and windshield before attaching to the port, with the gauge facing the windshield. You will only be able to latch the hood on the first click but that is fine as long as the latching mechanism is in working order.

Note the fuel pressure at idle.
Go drive it up your favorite hill and make it act up. To be extra safe, have a buddy ride shotgun and note the gauge behavior/readings.

Let us know what you find.

99car 02-20-2015 07:36 PM

Changed 02

Hi I changed out the rear 02 sensor and the problem with my car going up hill and losing power and then picking it up again when I give it gas still happens. Seems to be getting worse. Now have the code 140. Any suggestions?

99car 02-20-2015 07:41 PM

Hi I changed out the rear 02 sensor and the problem with my car going up hill and losing power and then picking it up again when I give it gas still happens. Seems to be getting worse. Now have the code 140. Any suggestions?

derf 02-20-2015 11:22 PM

P0140 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected Bank 1 Sensor 2

P0140 is set when the voltage signal sent from the rear O2 sensor to the PCM is constant.

There was no P0140 before replacement.

There is now.

It is either the wrong part, a defective right part, or an installation issue.

Universal wire-it-yourself deals don't count as parts to me-- won't even discuss so don't ask.

Oh, and the wiring harness and car's wiring should not have been messed with.

1) look at the post I made on 12/7/2014 (over 2 MONTHS ago) and then requoted last month. I offered you a straightforward way to have you and a buddy track your fuel pressure in real time yet over 2 months later you still haven't done it --with no explanation -- just more requests for more suggestions and more help. Fuel pump -- rule it out /rule it in. It's that simple.

What's up with that?

This post brought to by Claymation Courtyard

99car 02-24-2015 04:28 PM

Really? "What's up with that?" Really?
That's not very nice.
I feel I've taken steps to take care of my car through the advise given and when I have been able to.

If it annoys you to give helpful answers, not really a good idea to give help. I don't want to bother people, that's why I'm on a forum I thought that people like to offer help on and be nice about it all.

Maybe your just having a bad day. We all have those.

Thanks I will check it out.

keith 02-25-2015 01:41 PM

derf has given you some very good advice. I don't know if you have taken it or not as you have not provided any feedback indicating that you have.

Edit: I do think that it is possible that you got a bad new rear O2 sensor, if you still have the old one, you might try putting that back in. One more thing that has not been brought up, and you will need to do a fuel pressure test for this, is the fuel pressure regulator. This is located in the fuel rail. Normally these fail to regulate and the fuel pressure goes too high, but possibly yours is regulating too low.