Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

More summer "fun"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:27 PM
Default More summer "fun"

So last week the upper radiator hose blew off the radiator again. That's three times over the past year it has done this.
Last time I even put double clamps on it and it still blew off. Fortunately it did it right in front of a Wally World and I wasn't broke so I was able to cruise into the parking lot and pickup more coolant and a screwdriver to tighten up the hose clamps.
No harm done and back on the road soon enough. The hose still looks great, it's a new radiator as of last year.
I don't believe it's a leaking head gasket. I think it would blow off much more frequently if that was the case (I've had other cars in the past that did).
Maybe I've got bad clamps or I'm just getting too old and decrepit to get them tight enough.
Anyway, after I got it home I rechecked the coolant level, topped it off and tightened the clamps a little more.
While I was standing there sweating in the heat I got the wild idea to grab a can of refrigerant and charge up the AC again so we could be a little more comfortable driving in the sauna that is Virginia in the summer.
It didn't take much and the clutch kicked in and I thought "great! we've got AC again!". Then I heard this loud POP and watched the gauge suddenly climb on the low pressure side.
No more AC. The compressor clutch still engages but the pump no longer pumps.
Wasted 1/2 can of R134 for nothing. Oh well, the local pick n save is having a 50% off sale this weekend. Maybe I'll be able to pick up another compressor.
I keep reminding myself - at least I'm no worse off than I was yesterday other than less refrigerant on hand.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

I have had problems with some aftermarket radiators not having enough of a lip to retain the hose properly. The hose has to be very tight but don not crush the radiator. Check it after the car cools off.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

You are by definition better off today because you have unloaded vehicular baggage and are now free to pick up the baggage of your choice.

Wait....life doesn't work like that

You still have us

Old 07-13-2019, 04:06 PM

Made it to pick n save's 50% off sale today. When I left the house it was in the 70's outside. By the time I picked up my son (for the muscle) and got there it was already in the 80's and climbing fast. I had ambitious plans today. I wanted to get a transmission for the van, at least a head for the Saturn and ac compressors for both. Of course I'd grab anything else I could while there.
Got the compressors no problem. I even found a passenger side front marker light for the Saturn that wasn't busted. Also got a new NAPA upper radiator hose for the Satty (same car the compressor came from). They only had a few SL2s and none were the same year as mine. Decided to come back after I checked out the vans to see if I could find a good tranny. Found one but by this time it's in the 90's and still climbing. Found one of those bench seats with the built-in child seats so I had to grab that. Started pulling the donor van apart to get the tranny out and now it's almost 100 degrees and the sun's been shining strong all day. I'm getting too old for working in this heat & humidity. Had to stop and call it done for the day.
Good news is I have an ac compressor and marker light for the Saturn and only spent about $30 for that (with a 1 year warranty on the compressor). I'll have to wait for the next sale to try again. Meanwhile I can try to get the ac working again.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Janmar -- what tools do I need to swap in a replacement compressor?
Have never worked with AC (R &R)

Old 07-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Derf, it was so hot that day I really can't remember what size sockets I used. I hope to get it installed soon (need to get new o-rings, refrigerant and stuff first) and will update when I know.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Jamnar--i just meant are there any "special" tools needed ?

Old 07-22-2019, 07:43 AM

I don't think there's any "special" tools needed, derf. But since you'll be cracking the system open, you will definitely need to get a new dryer for it. Once they're exposed to the atmosphere, you need to replace them. Maybe new hoses and definitely O rings. I'm guessing that you'll take it to a shop to get it vacuumed and new refrigerant installed, right? And make sure they use the correct oil in it. I'm not sure what type the Saturns take. I do know that different manufacturers recommend different types.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:39 AM

No special tools to remove and reinstall compressor itself.
A flare nut wrench would be a good idea when replacing the receiver/dryer unit.
I was actually looking on Amazon last night and saw an HVAC kit for $150 that included the vacuum pump, the manifold guage set, a leak detector and hoses/adapters.
The pump itself can sell new for $60, the guage set for $50 on Amazon.
Off course all that stuff is made in China but the car won't know the difference.
Rock Auto sells the O-ring set for less than $5, the receiver/dryer for less than $15 and the expansion valve (frequently gets clogged when the compressor fails) for less than $20 if I remember correctly.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, sir. Sounds like a reason to buy more tools

Quick Reply: More summer "fun"