Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   keyless entry help (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/keyless-entry-help-2493/)

shordinges 09-26-2008 07:45 PM

well i just bought a 97 saturn sl2 on monday and lovin it. but i have had to work on a couple things, such as replace motor mount, axle seal, and a tune up. but the keyless entry doesnt work. i replaced the battery with the correct one. still doesnt work. manual says that press and hold the lock and unlock buttons for 7 seconds to sync it with the car but that doesnt seem the work. the guys at autozone said to check the fuse. but i cant find it and the autozone says that they dont have a way of finding it. i looked at the fuse box under the hood next to the battery and the one on the passenger side of the console in the car. none of them say something that may resemble a remote or keyless. any help would be appreciated

OceanArcher 09-26-2008 11:06 PM

There are two fuses on the instrument panel junction block that I would check first ... the ''BODY'' fuse (10A) and the ''LOCKS'' fuse (20A). They are both located near the ''CHIME'' fuse.

shordinges 09-26-2008 11:46 PM

alright i will check them out first thing in the morning. i remember seeing them but never checked them. just wondering, if it isnt the remote fuse then what else could it be? thanks for the reply

OceanArcher 09-29-2008 10:04 AM

I am assuming that the doorlocks operatemanually with the interior buttons, and that the doorlocks open and close when operating the vehicle on a daily basis which shows that the Remote Keyless Entry Module (RKE)is OK.

Are you sure you have the proper ''synchronization procedure'' for your car? You should be able to call the dealer to verify that.

Well, hopefully the remote keyfobwas not wiped out by the battery being wrong, but I guess that is a possibility. Might just have to replace the keyfob.

shordinges 09-30-2008 09:31 PM

sorry i havent been online for a while. internet was down. but the locks and windows in the car are all power. is there a way to test the system? and i did check both fuses and both were ok.Edited by: shordinges

OceanArcher 10-01-2008 07:50 AM

Please excuse my redundant questions, but could you answer these?

1. When you start the car and drive off, do the door locks close by themselves?

2. When you turn off the car, and remove the key, do the door locks open by themselves?

Low Saturn 10-06-2008 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher

Please excuse my redundant questions, but could you answer these?

1. When you start the car and drive off, do the door locks close by themselves?

2. When you turn off the car, and remove the key, do the door locks open by themselves?

Some will do that and some wont. Depends on how the system is programmed from the begining.

OceanArcher 10-06-2008 10:39 AM

Well, I have not worked on near the number of Saturns that Mike (LowSaturn) has, so I bow to his comments. But frankly, all the Saturns I have seen that came equipped with electric doorlocks and remote keyless entry will lock at ''drive-off'', and will unlock at ''shut-off''.

I was trying to establish if the locks only worked with the internal buttons, and at no other times. The thought being if the locks never operated except when manually triggered, then I would suspect the RKE module. However, if the doorlocks worked as I outlined, then I would suspect the keyfob itself was bad.

Newbeak 09-02-2009 08:40 PM

96 sl2

I have recently had trouble with my remote entry as well.I thought it was the keyfob battery,but using a fresh one doesn't help.The problem is it sometimes locks/unlocks the door/pops the trunk,but often I press and press the button with no results.Is there some way to nail down an intermittent problem like mine? I have to get an oil change soon,and could ask my mechanic to look at it. I bought this car new,and love it.I have never had a major problem/repair.

RjION 09-03-2009 04:04 PM

Open the remote remove the battery and clean the contacts. If that fails pull onto your nearest SATURN service drive and they will reprogram the remote at no cost.