Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Can the front seats be swapped with eachother?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:32 PM
Default Can the front seats be swapped with eachother?

What i mean is, can the front passenger seat be swapped with the front drivers seat by just removing the bolts and switching them? My 95 SL1 must have been owned by a very large person before me. The drivers seat leans to one way slightly and the cushion is completely worn out. I'm the only one who rides in the car so if i can just swap the front seats without removing the tracks i'll be set. Anyone know if the bolt holes line up?

Thanks

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM

i guess i should have looked closer. even if the holes line up the tracks would not work properly if swapped. i guess i'll look into swapping the cushions instead.

FYI - the bolts holding the seats down require E-10 sockets.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:52 AM

We found a full leather int in mint condition in a junk yard and put it in my friends SL2. Well all the seats that is. Got front and rear for $200 bucks.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM

It's not that difficult to swap the cushions. I had more trouble with the velcro when I did this, than any other part of it. I still need to find a decent back for mine, but it's been too cold to go to the junkyard. I'll probably finally get to go again in another six weeks or so. The only warm days we've had lately was when it's been raining.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:19 PM

Are there any specific procedure to swap out the cushions (bottom cushion)? I have the same issue with the foam material degraded on the outside of the drivers seat. Do you have to remove the seat completely in order to get the seat cushion off? Any modifications for the cushion to fit the opposit side (trim for the seat belt latch)?

Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 PM

Seat has to come out, easy to do.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:43 PM

So that means I will deal with it until the weather gets better for me to tear the seats out and do a major cleaning of the interior while i am at it.

Thanks

Old 01-27-2012, 05:03 AM

The damage to my seat was indeed the frame that had gone bad. The cable supports that hold the cushion in place just snapped. I got a replacement seat at pullapart for $25 and swapped the cushions over in an afternoon. All better now.

There are 4 bolts holding the seat in place. You need an E-10 socket to get these bolts out. After that just unclip the wire running to the seatbelt socket and lift the seat out the back door. There are plastic clips that have to be pryed off and some velcro holding the cushions on. Pretty simple once you see what you are dealing with.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Thank you for that feedback. I'm sure there are others out here who will benefit from your experiences ...

Old 08-27-2021, 12:01 AM
Default Common problem?

I also thought that a very large person must have had the car before I did. My driver seat is like a closing clam shell, with no support for my bum whatsoever. I have to put a large pillow on the seat to be somewhat comfortable. After seeing this thread, I am convinced that this is an issue with the quality of the seats, rather than an issue due to the previous owners size. This thread was very helpful, thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Can the front seats be swapped with eachother?