Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Starting my rebuild!!! v2.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Default Starting my rebuild!!! v2.0

I have been reading EVERYTHING I can find on the net and think I am about as prepared as I am going to get to start my rebuild project.

BACKGROUND:

My brother has my original '94 Saturn SL2 and it is falling apart so he bought a new car and gave it back to me. I currently have the same exact car (color, engine, model, etc.) only it is not from MD where salt is all over the roads, it is from WA where they only use sand so it is still in pristine condition.

GOAL:
1.) Take all the body panels off of his car that are better than mine and move them over.
  • My car was in a collision before I bought it and the front bumper is f***** up.
2.) Pull everything from under the hood to get the engine out.
  • Make sure that everything that I need (or could need) is saved in my garage.
  • Buy any tools that I need as I go so I am sure that I have them when I swap the engines later.
3.) Rebuild that engine for in my car
  • Some time in the future I want the car to handle 10psi+ boost so I will have many questions as I go and need to rebuild the engine to handle that in the future.
4.) Rebuild the tranny and get a clutch upgrade (reason is apparent from above).
5.) Upgrade suspension and tires.
6.) Get the damn A/C working. (I hate too hot cars).
7.) Upgrade exhaust and add Turbo.

I know that I could get flooded by TMI, but I would like all the tips I can get. I am going to compile and edit them all as I go and *try* to write a walkthrough/article for everything I have done. I have found a lot of different sources of information, but not a step by step in order of everything that was done. Already have the digital camera ready to go.

***IF ANYONE KNOWS EVERYTHING OR NEARLY EVERYTHING THAT I NEED TO REBUILD THE ENGINE FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW. ALSO, IT WOULDN'T MIND FINDING A DECENT REBUILD KIT WHERE I ONLY NEED TO GET A COUPLE OTHER THINGS BUT I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THIS.***

It may take me a while to finish this project, but I want to get started so I finish by the time there is snow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:14 PM

Seems like you had two usernames asking the same question word for word. That may be the reason you were having troubles signing onto this site. One user name is now gone along with it's posts.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bsgaggero

I am going to compile and edit them all as I go and *try* to write a walkthrough/article for everything I have done. I have found a lot of different sources of information, but not a step by step in order of everything that was done. Already have the digital camera ready to go.
A noble cause and a noble intention to document. Bravo!

Originally Posted by bsgaggero

***IF ANYONE KNOWS EVERYTHING OR NEARLY EVERYTHING THAT I NEED TO REBUILD THE ENGINE FOR WHAT I WANT TO DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW. .

Last I checked, no one knows everything....

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 PM

I am also looking to upgrade my exhaust what exhaust kit would anyone suggest?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM

I forgot to mention I have a 1997 sc2 I'm looking the exhaust for

Old 05-01-2009, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

please don't threadjack ---start a new one.

Thanks

Old 05-01-2009, 02:12 PM

Since you were doing a rebuild I was wondering if you knew sorry