Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   help me please (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/help-me-please-2680/)

hollywood32401 12-01-2008 05:25 PM

so i recently did a motor swap in my saturn and i decided not to hook up my power steering and instead of putting a bolt in the line i just broke the lines off at the rack not thinking that it would leak fluid out i know i need some lube in there but i am sure i have leaked out what was in there so my q is should i just put power steering fluid in there and seal it off or should i not worry about it will it mess up my rack and pinion if i just leave it and any suggestions on how to seal it off please help sorry this is just one long run on sentance also what if i just leave as is what will happen

OceanArcher 12-01-2008 09:57 PM

What - pray tell - possessed you to disconnect/disable your power steering system?

Low Saturn 12-02-2008 10:21 AM

Put a manual rack from a SL in your car.

hollywood32401 12-02-2008 03:35 PM

thats a lot of work why cant i jsut plug the lines what bad will happen

Low Saturn 12-02-2008 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by hollywood32401

thats a lot of work why cant i jsut plug the lines what bad will happen

I replaced my powersteering rack in about a half hour.Edited by: Low Saturn

OceanArcher 12-02-2008 05:15 PM

Just a personal comment here ...

Running a system designed for high internal pressures under a ''''zero pressure'''' condition (except in an emergency) would make me very concerned about how long it would continue to work. The possibility of condensation or water intrusion ... scarey

Edited by: OceanArcher

tealsc1 12-05-2008 01:46 PM

What were you thinking????? Why the hell would you break the power steering lines off instead of hooking them up? You put all that work into the motor swap and now you''re stuck with a big mess...... good job genius

hollywood32401 12-05-2008 05:12 PM

no actually i put my sl motor which didnt have power steering into an sl1which did and the power steering motor was shot so i didnt switch the pulleys and i put bolts in the holes to claug the lines andi know for sure that it will be fine so no i dont have a good mess

tealsc1 12-06-2008 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by hollywood32401
no actually i put my sl motor which didnt have power steering into an sl1which did and the power steering motor was shot so i didnt switch the pulleys and i put bolts in the holes to claug the lines andi know for sure that it will be fine so no i dont have a good mess

Well I hope you know what your doing. I still think it would have been beneficial to put the power stearing on but to each his own I guess. Good luck with all that

qwiksl1 12-07-2008 01:04 PM

nah saturns are light enough where you dont need power steering i hav a 98 sl1 no power steering(came that way) and i ripped out the a/c unit i dont need it i drive with the windows down anyway.. i was planning on a dohc head swap no power steering, does that affect the motor when the twin cam comes with power steering? i really dont want to build up a sohc(but i dont think anyones done that before)