Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Got’er on the road

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 AM
Banned

Got my 93 SL1 on the road Monday. I was in kind of a catch 22 situation for a while. It needs a windshield and the cheapest I can get one is a bit over $300. It was also smoking and we had a smog inspection. With a little driving I figured it would stop, it sat for awhile before I got it. I didn't want to waste 300 bux if it was not going to pass inspection because of smoke.As of Jan 1 the smog inspection went the way of the do-do. So I got it registered and been driving it for 2 days. It has quite smoking so I will buy a windshield. [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]The check engine soon light came on a couple times then went off. From reading here I figure the code is in memory and I will check it when it warms up a bit around here. It takes awhile to warm up. I may try changing the thermostat, but I am going to give it a couple hundred miles to settle in good first. Well just thought I'd share. [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Super Moderator

Good to hear, sir.

Ah, the S-car windshield....therse used to be Saturn only (no aftermarket) -- from the price you stated, probably still is. I have found ocer the years that my local Saturn dealer is actually the cheapest option here, since glass shops have to buy the glass from Saturn, then mark it up -- more than Saturn does-- in order to make a buck on the job.

Plus they've done it a zillion times -- never had one leak....

Might want to explore this option.

As for the codes -- since 93 is ODB I for the diag codes, you can check it as follows:

(Link to Previous thread--see bottom)

Long time to heat up: Does it take a long time per the dash guage or a long time to get heat in the car--or both?

Engine coolant temp sensor is notorious for failure on these cars -- (see above post)

Post diag codes and we'll help you sort it out....

Derf

Old 01-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Banned

Will do derf, I have the little code reader thing so I don't need to short across the leads, and a list of the codes. More than likely asensor someplace. But I'll see. Problem is right now we are expecting snow again for thenext few days and I don't want to play in it anymore. Spend 20 years in the infantry playing in the woods,deserts and swampsand I don't do that anymore if I don't have too [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img].The warm up thing I don't think is the gauge, it shows just below center on the dial. The heater and defrost take a long time to blow warm. About the windshield, I will check with a dealer, thanks for the advise.[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]