Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   front hub for 99 sl2 (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/frnt-hub-99-sl2-1112/)

MengusDew 05-29-2007 04:08 PM

Everywhere I search I can only find the rear hub assembly. All i really need is the front hub bearing but I will buy the whole front hub assembly if I have too, but I can only find the rear hub assembly. Any suggestions?

Low Saturn 05-31-2007 12:07 AM

Find an autoparts store that either has a press or can send your knuckes out to have the bearings pressed. Most places will give you a deal on labor is you buy the bearings from them. The only place to get the bearing/hub/knuckle assembly as a unit is the dealer. $$$$$$$$. Roughly $400 per side at the dealer, I used to pay less than $60 per side at a local shop. I know have my own press and do it myself. Bearings are $20 or so.

MengusDew 06-01-2007 02:09 PM

Saturn engineers really know how to rip off their customers. Most every part that I have needed to replace on my saturn is dealer exclusive and cost like 200 times more than it does to make.

Low Saturn 06-01-2007 03:29 PM

I've been working on Saturns for 14 years, owned 20 S-Series and done everything from regular maintenence to building complete engines. I can only think of a hand full of parts that are "dealer only". And even those can be bought from the aftermarket, but arent as good.

mileone 06-01-2007 03:45 PM

Hello, my name is Keith and I am with www.getsaturnparts.com. The front bearing you are referring to is serviced seperately. Dealer list is $105.00, your cost $84.00. Saturn part number is 21011953. IF I can be of anymore assistance, please let us know. saturnpartsdepot@mileone.com

Low Saturn 06-01-2007 07:10 PM

Keep in mind you still have to find a shop to press the bearing out of the knuckle and the hub out of the bearing. Then you need it all pressed in again. $84.00 seems kinda steep though. Saturnparts.net has part number 21011953 for $61.42 and saturnparts.com has it for $68.43. But this is one of those instances where I've found that aftermarket bearings are superior to the OEM ones. Plus they're usually half the cost. $34.99 at autozone, a local store has them for a $25 or so.

S3aturnR 06-03-2007 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by MengusDew
Everywhere I search I can only find the rear hub assembly. All i really need is the front hub bearing but I will buy the whole front hub assembly if I have too, but I can only find the rear hub assembly. Any suggestions?

that's because the bearing is replaceable. to replace the rear bearing, you have to replace the entire assembly. your front assembly would be the bearing in the knuckle. remove it and take it somewhere with a press. have them press out the old and press in the new. cost me $20 when i did mine.

good luck!

s3aturnr

S3aturnR 06-03-2007 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by mileone
Hello, my name is Keith and I am with www.getsaturnparts.com. The front bearing you are referring to is serviced seperately. Dealer list is $105.00, your cost $84.00. Saturn part number is 21011953. IF I can be of anymore assistance, please let us know. saturnpartsdepot@mileone.com

can you say, "rip off"???

got mine for under $65. hell, you can get the tapered one from SPS for less than your costs...

s3aturnr