Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   Drastic decrease in MPG (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/drastic-decrease-mpg-2961/)

ryan@waggs.net 02-18-2009 09:16 AM

Hey guys,

First off I want to say that I bought my 98 sl2 (manual) slightly out of desperation for a car, about 6 months ago. It now has about 143k on it. I have fallen in love with it. I am not a mechanic, but armed with a manual and a tool set from sears, I do what I can. I have been doing things to my Saturn that I didn''''''''t really need to do. Changing things like the alternator, starter, and brakes, before I really had any problems. I was just kind of trying to learn about my car etc.

Anywho!

I was probably getting about 28 mpg, driving 30% highway. I was pretty happy. Recently, however I have dropped down to about 21 mpg, and driving habits haven''''''''t changed.

I did small things like air filter, plugs, cable etc. with no change. I did recently do the back brakes, and I need to double check them to make sure the wheels are spinning, but I remember doing that when I put the wheels back on.

So, assuming my brakes aren''''''''t the cause, are there any other ideas?

Thanks!

Edited by: ryan@waggs.net

sw2cam 02-18-2009 03:45 PM

ETC sensor and connector

OceanArcher 02-18-2009 04:41 PM

sw2cam has the answer, and oh, by the way, I sinserely hope you did not put platinum plugs in your engine ...

ryan@waggs.net 02-18-2009 08:24 PM

Cool! I''ll go ahead and get started on that.

While we are on the subject, are there any tune ups or particular parts
that can help mpg at all?

Thanks guys!

OceanArcher 02-18-2009 09:41 PM

A can of throttle body cleaner and a new set of plugs might help. Be sure to coat the threads with anti-sieze, and DO NOT USE PLATINUM

ryan@waggs.net 02-18-2009 09:53 PM

ok, ok i''ll say it...

what''s wrong with platinum? [img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img]

OceanArcher 02-18-2009 10:30 PM

The spark system on a Saturn is not designed to operate with a platinum plug. Poor performance, rotten gas mileage just to name a few ...

ryan@waggs.net 02-25-2009 06:31 PM

Seemed to work wonderfully.

Thanks guys, i''l have to make another thread with a new problem if I
don''t find it searching.

Ttyl :)

Kdrum25 03-10-2009 08:14 AM

wow am i sure glad i just read this post! i have a 98'' sl2 5spd and i bought mine too out''ve desperate need for a car. Mine had 149K mi on it when i got it in July 08'', now it''s up to 152k. But anyway, i''m getting ROTTEN gas mileage. [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]I have a new air filter, new tires, new brakes (fr & rear), oil recently changed, new plug wires, new battery, new front axles, new wheel bearings, new clutch, new shift cables and even a new shifter with a boot!! STILL bad. and to make matters worse, i put Bosch Platinum plugs in it maybe a month ago![img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]I didn''t know you weren''t supposed to! Does anyone haveany suggestions on what type of plug works best? Thanx so much for any info!

~Krissy~

sw2cam 03-10-2009 11:29 AM

Buy your plugs from the SATURN dealer then you''ll be sure to get the right ones.