Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   Catalytic Converter (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/catalytic-cnverter-2386/)

nuccello 08-21-2008 04:48 PM

Here''s my problem. I live in CT. my 99 sl1 happens to have a calif. converter. It the bed. My question is: why can''t I put a universal cat in it''s place? I''m thinking because of the computer right? I put a universal one in and the check engine soon light comes on and I get these two codes:PO341 and PO410. I don''t want to spend $500.00 for the Calif. converter.The carruns great but I can''t get it through emmissions with the light on so I can''t register it. I''ve got nothing but the run around from Moter vehicals. Can Someone shed some light here please. Thanks

TheEngineer 08-22-2008 04:22 PM

my guess is that the converter simply wasnt up to "Cali" specs and that the o2 is now throwing a code because of the bad readings its getting. The way i see it, you have 2 options.

1. Remove the cat on their (return if you can) and replace with one that is said to be within "cali spec"

2. Try either and o2 simulator or my o2 fix that ove adopted from others.

- the o2 simulator is self explanitory. You just hook it up and away you go. (the good: easy install) (the bad: more money)

- O2 Fix is something that ive used and it has proven to work. I created a how to on it on the other forums i moderate. http://www.mitsubishiforum.com/m_94383/tm.htm
(the good: less money) (the bad: alittle more work to install, but still not much more than 1/2 hour)

MINICooperS 08-22-2008 10:12 PM

Just went thru the same thing for Arizona emissions on my 1-owner 1995 SL2.
Here were my emission readings before the cat, O2 sensor, and coolant temp sensor R&R (all items were original and have 208,000 miles on them) and after:

Hydrocarbons (HC) In Grams/Mile: Max Allowed:0.80, 1.18>Fail, after new parts 0.39>Pass
Carbon Monoxide (CO) In Grams/Mile: Max Allowed:12.00, 17.64>Fail, after new parts 1.67> Pass
Oxides Of Nitrogen (NOX) In Grams/Mile: Max Allowed:2.00, 2.23>Fail, after new parts 0.38>Pass

Perhaps you can post your "failed" readings?
Here are my part numbers:
Direct fit, Marmont Catalytic Converter #29591 $165.40 Checker Auto
Coolant Temp Sensor, Nehof TS71271 $9.49 Checker Auto
O2 Sensor, Bosch #11027 $20.39 Checker Auto
Total: $211.43 w/tax

Note: Here in Arizona the "maximum allowable" readings are the same for any mileage above 50,000 so having 208,000 made no difference, and where the car was first registered makes no difference. Oh, and I had no trouble codes stored with the old equipment.Edited by: MINICooperS

TheEngineer 08-23-2008 08:24 PM

^^^i dont think he will have a problem with the actual emmission failure, but i know here when you have a CEL it is an automatic failure.

Low Saturn 08-23-2008 10:53 PM

Neither one of those codes have anything to do with your catalytic converter. A universal replacement for the old one is fine

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance:

Usually caused by oil in the spark plug wells, bad plugs, bad wires or bad ground at the ignition module. (Saturns S-Series do not have a cam position sensor. They use ignition timing to determine cam shaft postion)

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction:

Usually caused by carbon build up where the secondary air injection tube attaches to the exhauset manifold. Remove the tube and exhaust manifold and throughly clean the carbon deposits.

nuccello 08-26-2008 02:13 PM

Thank you all. I''ll start with Low Saturn''s suggestion first Then go on from there. Thanks again guys.

97sl1eddie 09-07-2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Neither one of those codes have anything to do with your catalytic converter. A universal replacement for the old one is fine

P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance:

Usually caused by oil in the spark plug wells, bad plugs, bad wires or bad ground at the ignition module. (Saturns S-Series do not have a cam position sensor. They use ignition timing to determine cam shaft postion)

P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction:

Usually caused by carbon build up where the secondary air injection tube attaches to the exhauset manifold. Remove the tube and exhaust manifold and throughly clean the carbon deposits.

Low Saturn 09-07-2008 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by 97sl1eddie

Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Neither one of those codes have anything to do with your catalytic converter. A universal replacement for the old one is fine P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance: Usually caused by oil in the spark plug wells, bad plugs, bad wires or bad ground at the ignition module. (Saturns S-Series do not have a cam position sensor. They use ignition timing to determine cam shaft postion) P0410 Secondary Air Injection System Malfunction: Usually caused by carbon build up where the secondary air injection tube attaches to the exhauset manifold. Remove the tube and exhaust manifold and throughly clean the carbon deposits.