Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Another timing belt (chain?) question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice. I have a 97 SL 2 with 160k miles on it. I was recently getting some maintenance done on it and the guy told me that the timing belt was rattling and I should look into getting it fixed (or getting a new car). That was not a service they offered (so he wasn't trying to sell me anything), but he said he didn't think the parts would be too expensive, but the whole engine would have to be moved to get to it so it would involve a lot of labor and likely cost around $2k. The car is currently running well and has been pretty dependable (at least since I learned about the engine coolant temperature sensor thingy a while back! lol). Its been paid off and I was hoping to drive it for "free" for as long as possible, but my job requires traveling and now I'm too stressed about it possibly breaking down to take it on long trips anymore. Reading these forums it sounds like it might possibly be a cheaper, simpler fix than he thought? Anyone have any rough estimates on what it might cost to repair this? Would my $ and efforts probably be better put into a another car at this point, or might this be worth fixing? Car has been pretty decently maintained oil/filters wise, but a little banged up/dirty from horse farm use so its not worth a lot of $ - but my next car will suffer the same abuse so I don't care about cosmetics. Thanks for reading, I'd really appreciate any advice, comments, or suggestions.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM

Engine does not have to come out. Looking around 600-700 buck depending on where you go. Dont slouch and go to joe bag of doughnuts for this repair. I've seen most if not all the front covers leaking that were done other than the dealers. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:43 PM

Done correctly the front cover wont leak at all. I've done several timing chain replacements and complete engine builds. None leak a drop.

The engine doesnt have to come out, but disconnecting it from the mounts and moving it around gains easier access for tools. Especially on DOHC's. If you car going to do this yourself, take your time, follow directions in a service manual exactly and dont be in a rush to fire it up once completed. Give the RTV some time to cure.

Oh yeah, dont buy aftermarket timing chain kits. OEM cost a little more, but the quality is much better.