Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

99 SL start and then no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 03:00 AM
Smile 99 SL start and then no start

Hello, I have a 99 model SL. she starts fine, misfires a bit. then I turn off engine and when I turn it back on, she turns over and over and over, etc. but doesn't start. when I wait 30 minutes, I can start her just fine. Could this be spark plug wires put on wrong cylinders? months ago when the car started presenting these symptoms, the second time I would go to start her, I would push accelerator to the floor and she would start, with a lot of black exhaust and strong gas smell.

Any help certainly appreciated!

-Caryl

Old 10-30-2016, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a classic coolant temp sensor failure to me.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:15 AM

I agree with Andy. The first thing to do is check the connector to the ECTS. It's a squeeze type connector and if it's cracked or busted, you're not getting a good connection. If it's okay, then get another sensor and pigtail. Don't go get one at Autovancereillyapa. The aftermarket ones are NOT calibrated correctly. Find a Saturn friendly GM dealer and get one through them, along with the pigtail. Total should be between $40 and $50. Solder the pigtail and shrink wrap it. Don't half *** it.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:46 AM
Default Start and no start on 99 SL

Hi, thanks for the invaluable info! I got an ACDelco temp sensor from Rockauto. Is this what you meant when you said buy from a dealer?
I am getting ready to sell this pretty and plain SL. I dont want to, but with my disabled feet, it is painful to use clutch. :-(.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:54 AM

Where are you and what is your asking price? That may help. Check the tip on the sensor you got from rockauto. If it's brass tipped, then you should be okay. If it's not brass, then you need to return it for a refund. The resin tipped ones are not good. What about the pigtail? Did you check it? If it's not cracked or broken, I wouldn't replace it. But I AM a cheap bastard.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by baire702
Hi, thanks for the invaluable info! I got an ACDelco temp sensor from Rockauto. Is this what you meant when you said buy from a dealer?
I am getting ready to sell this pretty and plain SL. I dont want to, but with my disabled feet, it is painful to use clutch. :-(.
Ruby is giving you correct information, but when referring to a dealer in part unfortunately there are non as Saturn dealers no longer exist, but GM supports the parts.
The sensor is a part of the car that had a problem many years ago and aftermarket which Rockauto and many other auto parts businesses sold had a part that like the original was defective. And getting that single individual part out of distribution it seems never happened correctly other then GM original parts which many GM dealers will sell parts for the Saturn. The problem now has become which current GM manufactured dealer will still carry Saturn parts. Locally for me a Chevrolet dealer close to where I live still will sell Saturn parts and I go there for those parts which are better bought from GM.
A long story for a single part but when it fails you need to have a GM replacement part to insure that it will work correctly.
Your rock auto part might work, but if it doesn't fix the problem, it still may need to be replaced by one purchased from a GM dealer.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Default She's starting now!

thank you!
Originally Posted by uncljohn
Ruby is giving you correct information, but when referring to a dealer in part unfortunately there are non as Saturn dealers no longer exist, but GM supports the parts.

wow! she's starting now! amazing that a temp sensor can cause such a problem as not starting continuallty. the part i got is AC Delco. my son and i have had good luck with ordering parts feom Rockauto. Are there any other parts that had problems like this one?

The sensor is a part of the car that had a problem many years ago and aftermarket which Rockauto and many other auto parts businesses sold had a part that like the original was defective. And getting that single individual part out of distribution it seems never happened correctly other then GM original parts which many GM dealers will sell parts for the Saturn. The problem now has become which current GM manufactured dealer will still carry Saturn parts. Locally for me a Chevrolet dealer close to where I live still will sell Saturn parts and I go there for those parts which are better bought from GM.
A long story for a single part but when it fails you need to have a GM replacement part to insure that it will work correctly.
Your rock auto part might work, but if it doesn't fix the problem, it still may need to be replaced by one purchased from a GM dealer.

Old 11-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

If it says GM Original equipment on RockAuto (go back to the page you ordered it from), and is AC Delco, it is OEM and fine

Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 AM

this is the sensor that I got from Rock Auto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1357275&jsn=1

Old 11-03-2016, 12:57 PM

That certainly looks like the right one. Brass tipped! Nice job. Now, onward and upward!