Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   96 SL1 - A/C Problem (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/96-sl1-c-problem-3607/)

net_roamer 08-05-2009 10:06 AM

96 SL1 - A/C Problem

Just need a little input on trouble shooting the A/C system on my 96 sl1

Static Pressure apx 80psi

At Idle Low Side 50psi@750rpm drops to 30psi@1500 rpm and >
Hi Side 100psi@750rpm starts to climb 110-115psi@1500 and >

From what I can tell I would say the compressor is shot, but just wanted verification on my conclusion.

Thanks

OceanArcher 08-05-2009 11:37 AM

Which of the following questions are true??

1) Cool air output is inadequate
2) Cool air output is intermittant
3) Cool air output is non-existant

net_roamer 08-05-2009 11:47 AM

3) Cool air output is non-existant

OceanArcher 08-05-2009 12:49 PM

OK -

You already listed the pressure readings when you had the system both OFF and ON.

OFF readings would indicate that you have a full refrigerant charge in the system (but this is not conclusive proof).

1) When you have the system ON, and you are getting the readings you mention, is the compressor running continuously, or is it cycling ON and OFF repeatedly?
2) When the compressor is running, does it make any rattle, clunk, or other internal noises?
3) Are there any moisture or frost building up on any of the high pressure lines or the expansion valve?

net_roamer 08-05-2009 01:07 PM

Thanks for the help...

1) When you have the system ON, and you are getting the readings you mention, is the compressor running continuously, or is it cycling ON and OFF repeatedly?

Compress kicks on when a/c is turned on...does not cycle off

2) When the compressor is running, does it make any rattle, clunk, or other internal noises?

Sort of a Buzzing like sound at idle..goes away above an idle..

3) Are there any moisture or frost building up on any of the high pressure lines or the expansion valve?

No moisture or frost..no detectable change in temperature at expansion valve.

OceanArcher 08-05-2009 01:12 PM

From what you list here, it is either:

1) Faulty compressor reed valve --> compressor teardown and overhaul

2) Compressor internal fault --> compressor replacement

Sorry to rain on your parade.....

net_roamer 08-05-2009 01:14 PM

Thanks...

That is what I was guess...but didn't want to pull the compressor and dryer..and find out that after recharging the system...I should have pulled the expansion valve...

OceanArcher 08-05-2009 01:29 PM

There's no moisture/frost buildup on the high side pipes or on the expansion valve itself, I don't think the expansion valve is stuck closed. Insufficient high side pressure means either the reed valves are leaking back (not holding pressure) or the compressor is not doing its job.

genroxbro 08-07-2009 03:22 AM

96 SL1 A/C Problem

I am on a Mac using firefox and safari 4.0 and am trying to change a photo within the "Content Items Manager"When I open a document get the intro text box but when I click on any of the icons like the "insert photo" or "html" a popup opens with nothing inside?I have done it on a pc and a popup with the appropriate browsing capabilities show up but on my mac it is not working. Has anyone had this issue? Does it have to do with any securities on my mac or is it a browser issue? Im really annoyed with this problem. Thanks for the help.Ken _____________________________________Website I designed for canadian pay day loans company.

Bunz 08-31-2009 06:23 AM

Fan buzzing

I have an sl2 1996 manual. The radiator fan is buzzing whenever it is on. I popped the hood and checked to make sure it was turning on. There is no check engine lights, the car stays at a normal temp. I was just wondering if the buzzing is from a misaligned fan or is it something deeper?