Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Ignition cylinder install help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Banned
Default Ignition cylinder install help

Hello,

I'm a new member. I own a 92 Saturn SL2. I've changed my ignition lock cylinder before with no problems. This time I was able to take the lock cylinder out but reinstalling it is a problem. After the lock cylinder was out, I used some needle nose pliers to align the small piece that connects with the lock cylinder. Unfortunately, i moved it into the "Run" position and I am unable to turn it back to the "Acc" position in order for the lock cylinder to be installed.

Is there a way that I can successfully move the small piece back to the "Acc" position without taking off the steering wheel?

When i was originally using the needle nose pliers, I turned the piece a little to the right/up and I heard a sound as if a spring popped into place(kind of like a lock engaging). Every since then, I haven't been able to move the piece to align with the "Acc" position that my cylinder needs in order to fully install. I went outside a few minutes ago to try and turn the wheel and move the piece but the piece still won't move to the position i need it to.

Is it possible if someone can give me a walk through on how to fix this?

Last edited by Nopaynenogayne; 12-10-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:34 PM

I wish I could put a picture here, but I will try my best to paint one. Looking at the lock cylinder housing from the side opposite the steering column, there is a flat plate about 2" square. In the upper left corner is a little slot. Stick a thin pick type tool into this slot and rotate the actuator blade back to the ACC position.

If you have a pass key, you will need to get the passkey program ran on your Saturn in order to start it.

BTW, most of the time, when the key gets difficult to work in the lock, you can get a brand new key cut from the VIN at the dealership for about $8 (if its not a passkey). This will be a brand new key as opposed to a brand new copy of a worn out key that you would get from WalMart. This fixes the problem most of the time.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Banned

Hello Keith,

Thank for your reply. I checked and had a hard time finding the slot you mentioned. I will go back today after work and try again. I will unplug everything that is on top of the cylinder housing to see if it is underneath all of that. If not, I will take pictures of the set up for you. I should have done this before.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:25 PM

Best I can describe it is with the clamshell off the steering column, it is the side opposite the steering column, the side that is facing the passenger side door. The 2" square plate would be at the floor/dashboard corner with the tiny slot in the top back corner of that square.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Now I'm not sure this will work for you. I was looking in the 00-02 FSM. When I looked in the Haynes manual that is supposed to cover all Saturn S series, it looks different. Try pressing that thing on the top that you pressed to get the cylinder out and see if that makes a difference. It looks like it should just go to the ACC position without any trouble so I hope nothing broke on you.

Edit: from looking at the picture again, it appears that I have the orientation wrong in my description, hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails Ignition cylinder install help-ignlock.jpg  

Last edited by keith; 12-11-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Banned

Hello,

I've included pictures of my Saturn's set up. I can turn the piece clockwise but I still haven't been able to turn the piece counterclockwise. Every time I've tried, the piece won't budge. This is what the piece looks like. Ignition cylinder install help-20131214_164559.jpg

my ignition switch is on the left side of my steering column. Ignition cylinder install help-20131211_083148.jpg

This is a top view of the housing. Ignition cylinder install help-20131214_164529.jpg

I fear I may have to take apart the housing to solve the problem.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:03 PM

Maybe someone else that has done this will pipe in, sorry but I'm at my end on this one. It should turn back with no problem so something has gone wrong I'm afraid. BTW is the battery disconnected? It looks like you have not disconnected the connector.

Try putting the transmission in neutral or just jiggle the switch, or if 5 speed, step on clutch. It should not affect anything, but what's the harm in trying?

Last edited by keith; 12-14-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Banned

I will go outside and try putting it in neutral now. I disconnected the negative cable on the battery but left everything else plugged up.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Does your car have a tilt adjustment? If so, let the wheel down as far as it will go, and unplug all of the wiring connectors on the damn thing. Get in the passenger seat and then get on top of the steering column and look for a slot that you can place a small, flat blade screwdriver into. It's a bitch to locate, but it's there. Push your screwdriver in there and hold it with one hand and using another flat blade screwdriver, insert it into the hole where the switch goes and see if you can GENTLY turn the position on that. If not, then I don't know what to suggest either. Mine was a royal pain in the *** to swap out too.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

I wanted to thank everyone that has given me feedback on this thread. Thanks alot to Keith and rubehayseed!

The original actuator problem was fixed once I was able to remove the housing and push in on the piece I needed to in order to turn the actuator back.

Quick Reply: Ignition cylinder install help