Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn S Series Sedan (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/)
-   -   2000 SW2 Transmission (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-s-series-sedan-27/2000-sw2-transmission-5005/)

bobsalas 10-04-2010 02:07 PM

2000 SW2 Transmission

2000 SW2, 1900 DOHC, Auto, 65,000 miles

My transmission is leaking fluid right where the engine and tranny mate. I think it is the seal.

I want to pull the tranny and replace the seal. The car is 10 years old, but has only 65,000 miles on it. The transmission seems to shift fine, no problems at any speed. I have to put a quart of fluid in about every 20 miles. Luckily I drive only about 3 miles a day.

My friends says the transmission should be replaced. He thinks the rings and gears in the transmission have been jeopardized.

What do you think?

OceanArcher 10-04-2010 04:35 PM

I think it'll depend on just how "wrench savvy" you are. If you're going to do the work yourself, I'd opt for replacing the seal, since you indicate no other issues. Only you can judge if you are capable of this line of repair .........

uncljohn 10-04-2010 07:01 PM

Pulling transmissions is a judgement call for a DIY type of person. Pulling transmissions on a FWD car is an invitation for pain, but still a judgment call.
If you don't have a problem with pulling one, a front seal is not that big of a thing. Soft part replacement is almost duck soup.
Anything beyond that implies some knowledge of what to do.
I have rebuilt one automatic, it cured me of a second one.
I have rebuilt a number of standards, but I avoid front wheel drive unless it is impossible to do.
Personal preference.
nothing else.
If the transmission shifts o.k., I would not suspect further problems.

bobsalas 10-05-2010 03:58 AM

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I am not much of a mechanic. Fortunately, there is a Tech School near by that will turn its students loose on the car. All I need do is pay for parts.

They will inspect it first and determine if they can perform the work. If they feel they can, they'll take the job. Lucky thing is they are studying transmissions this term.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.

bobsalas 10-05-2010 01:27 PM

So now that I have decided to pull the tranny and replace the seal ($2.75 from Rock Auto Parts), are there any other seals, gaskets or parts I will need, besides the seal and fluid?

derf 10-07-2010 09:39 PM

i'm lost -- you have an ad up for a new tranny in the classifieds

bobsalas 10-08-2010 02:41 AM

tranny

I am trying to cover every conceivable contingency.

If I can find a tranny for cheap, I will replace mine.

If not, and it looks more and more unlikely that I will, I will replace the seal and hope for the best.

I can not afford to rebuild it. That much I know.

Can you help?

derf 10-09-2010 10:17 PM

hoseppi? hoseppi? where for art thou Hoseppi